VV-VI Motor Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Hux160
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Music self played is Happiness self made

VV-VI Motor Question

Post by Hux160 »

Hi, First time posting so if this is in wrong area, I will move. I am working on a 2 spring motor on a VV-VI. Springs were re-greased, governor disassembled and cleaned and new friction leather. When adjusting the speed, the weights hit the motor frame before it gets to 78rpm, giving the machine gun sound we all dread. I have the set screw centered in the bearing with the groove and if I try to move the governor away from the frame to give it more play, the weights hit the screw of the bracket that holds the leather and won't turn.
_IMG4044b.jpg
Should I try new Governor springs? different leather? (1/8th" vs 3/16th"). Smaller weights? Thanks for any suggestions.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: VV-VI Motor Question

Post by pallophotophone »

Hux160 wrote:Hi, First time posting so if this is in wrong area, I will move. I am working on a 2 spring motor on a VV-VI. Springs were re-greased, governor disassembled and cleaned and new friction leather. When adjusting the speed, the weights hit the motor frame before it gets to 78rpm, giving the machine gun sound we all dread. I have the set screw centered in the bearing with the groove and if I try to move the governor away from the frame to give it more play, the weights hit the screw of the bracket that holds the leather and won't turn.
_IMG4044b.jpg
Should I try new Governor springs? different leather? (1/8th" vs 3/16th"). Smaller weights? Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you checked the actual speed of the turntable with a strobe disc before the point that the governor weights hit the frame ?? If the weights were correct at one time, I'd say they still are.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Be patient. These motors are a little nightmare to adjust... You'll have to try a finer adjustment of the governor brake lever and leather pad... and a very fine adjustment of the governor. These old motors don't have the little hole in the governor axis for housing the fixed collar set screw, so the governor may go fixed in its axis in slightly different positions. Playing with all that you'll finally find the adjustment that works (if the governor springs are the right length and thickness!)
Inigo

Hux160
Victor Jr

Post by Hux160 »

Thanks Inigo, I will work on adjusting the governor brake lever and axis.

Hux160
Victor Jr

Post by Hux160 »

pallophotophone wrote:
Hux160 wrote:Hi, First time posting so if this is in wrong area, I will move. I am working on a 2 spring motor on a VV-VI. Springs were re-greased, governor disassembled and cleaned and new friction leather. When adjusting the speed, the weights hit the motor frame before it gets to 78rpm, giving the machine gun sound we all dread. I have the set screw centered in the bearing with the groove and if I try to move the governor away from the frame to give it more play, the weights hit the screw of the bracket that holds the leather and won't turn.
_IMG4044b.jpg

Have you checked the actual speed of the turntable with a strobe disc before the point that the governor weights hit the frame ?? If the weights were correct at one time, I'd say they still are.
Yes, I used a strobe and it didn't get to 78. I will have to do the paper and counting trick to get the RPMs before the weights make noise.

Thatphonographguy
Victor O
Personal Text: Edison is still a better inventor than Tesla

Post by Thatphonographguy »

Those springs look kinda long. They can be easily bent nearly straight, but be careful. If not, get a set of new ones. Must be an earlier machine, because those weights are earlier weights, with the sort of bat wings on them that stop the weight from ever turning on the spring. Could be wrong, but I've only seen those on earlier inside horn machines.

Hux160
Victor Jr

Post by Hux160 »

Thatphonographguy wrote:Those springs look kinda long. They can be easily bent nearly straight, but be careful. If not, get a set of new ones. Must be an earlier machine, because those weights are earlier weights, with the sort of bat wings on them that stop the weight from ever turning on the spring. Could be wrong, but I've only seen those on earlier inside horn machines.
Thanks Thatphonographguy, It is the governor springs. I removed them and saw the bend you mentioned. I flipped them over and now it comes up to speed without the weights hitting the motor casing. I will get new springs for it soon. Thanks!