What’s wrong with this spring barrel?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
phonodesbois
Victor II

Re: What’s wrong with this spring barrel?

Post by phonodesbois »

Bob wrote:So the arbor with the nail in it will not turn at all in the barrel?
Yes and it's quite surprising!
Tomorrow, I will try again to remove the cover ,"using whatever force is necessary..." as per Curt suggestion.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonodesbois wrote:
Tomorrow, I will try again to remove the cover ,"using whatever force is necessary..." as per Curt suggestion.
While everybody is encouraging you to get the barrel cover off, YOU are the one who runs the risk of finding a fully wound spring inside. And, YOU are the one who has the barrel in front of you to be able to judge what might be inside, not us.

BE CAREFUL. Just in case the spring is fully wound, as you suspect it might be, wear safety goggles and gloves when you open the spring barrel!

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:
phonodesbois wrote:
While everybody is encouraging you to get the barrel cover off, YOU are the one who runs the risk of finding a fully wound spring inside. And, YOU are the one who has the barrel in front of you to be able to judge what might be inside, not us.

BE CAREFUL. Just in case the spring is fully wound, as you suspect it might be, wear safety goggles and gloves when you open the spring barrel!
It can't be wound up at all :? when the spring barrel was removed from the motor it would have wound down violently if still wound

Bob
Victor II

Post by Bob »

phonodesbois wrote:
If that arbor is frozen it very well could be wound. Be careful. Can you put the barrel in a vice and get the arbor to turn with vice grips.

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Well, it was « interesting »!
As I fully agreed with JerryVan recommendations, I decided to go one step at the time. At first, I inserted some gasoline in the cover hole to try to dissolve the old grease and let it sleep overnight. Then, I took my safety goggles and gloves and tried to move the arbor shaft gently at first then more firmly and suddenly the spring unwound (without damages!) and it unhooked from the center. I then removed the cover, the spring seems ok and the arbor shaft moves freely!
Next step, full motor cleaning then reposition the center hook; if not possible, I will change the spring.
Thanks all for your help and support.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

soundgen wrote: It can't be wound up at all :? when the spring barrel was removed from the motor it would have wound down violently if still wound

SURPRISE! :o

Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Post by Herderz »

phonodesbots, glad you got it apart. I am very surprised that the spring was wound up fully with the barrel removed, per soundgen statement. I have never encountered a removed spring drum that was still wound up in many years of working with springs. Jerry Van is correct to always use safety measures when working with springs. Bob gave me insight that it could be frozen up to the point of holding it's wind but I have not personally seen that before. Jerry Van's surprise means that anything can happen.
I would now remove the spring from the drum (safely) and make sure it was not "set" or weak. you can tell that from the diameter of the unwound spring. Next I would look at the arbor shaft and the drum races for wear that would of caused the spring to remain wound. Clean up the drum and the arbor and put it back together without the spring and test the clearance of the arbor to drum races. there should not be much clearance between the hole and the shaft. The shaft should be smooth at the race and the hole should round and not oblong. If so you need to address what parts have signs of wear.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:
soundgen wrote: It can't be wound up at all :? when the spring barrel was removed from the motor it would have wound down violently if still wound

Yes really surprised I have never seen this type of spring barrel with a wound up seized spring ! HMV portables and table models can have seized wound up springs due to their ghastly grease and I have had several of these and they are dangerous! So applause to Jerry for suggested caution :oops: Should always add all advice given without warrant or guarantee , just in case ! :D

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

soundgen wrote:
JerryVan wrote:

Yes really surprised I have never seen this type of spring barrel with a wound up seized spring ! HMV portables and table models can have seized wound up springs due to their ghastly grease and I have had several of these and they are dangerous! So applause to Jerry for suggested caution :oops: Should always add all advice given without warrant or guarantee , just in case ! :D
Thanks! As it turns out, I'm only correct about 1 time per year. Having been correct this early in the year assures I'll be issuing out a long series of errors... :|

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

We say in Spain that "all is well if it ends up well..."
Nice to do the work taking prudence and caution. Old grease in springs, and a seized arbor could have make it happen this way.
We're all glad you ended in success!
Those small Thorens springs are a nightmare, it's my experience!
Inigo