Reproducer setup and tuning?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Reproducer setup and tuning?

Post by Herderz »

I have now just gotten started in rebuilding reproducers on my machines. My question to the group is: what is the tuning procedure for the needle arm setup. Is it voodoo, black magic. Or is there a process to tune. Pivot points to loose will cause a buss to noise? Too tight cause frequency range loss? What is the deal? I have searched but not found much detail in what I want to know.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Reproducer setup and tuning?

Post by chunnybh »

Here is an excellent page at the APS. Go to the bottom of the page for rebuilding the Exhibition reproducer.

https://www.antiquephono.org/sound-subs ... j-wakeman/

Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Post by Herderz »

Thanks chunnybh, I read the whole page. Avery good read full of all kinds of information.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

But the reproducers with pivot points and no balance springs (Victor ortho and no4, HMV analogs and Columbia) are different. There the adjustment of the pivot points require a very little or no lateral play, while maintaining the capability of the needlebar to fall on its own weight when the reproducer (with the needlebar free from its connection to the diaphragm) is inclined up and down.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

chunnybh wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:17 pm Here is an excellent page at the APS. Go to the bottom of the page for rebuilding the Exhibition reproducer.

https://www.antiquephono.org/sound-subs ... j-wakeman/
A very good read indeed.

Interesting to also read about the many different types of diaphragms used - which 'ties in' with my BROS soundbox which unusually (I assume) seems to have a mica diaphragm with some kind of cardboard backing.