Edison Home 2/4 Conversion

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Edison Home 2/4 Conversion

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Hello once again, everybody. I just picked up an Edison Home today for a nice price, but it would only serve me well if it were a 2/4 minute machine, which it is currently not. Is it possible to modify the feedscrew mechanism with the proper adapters to permit variable operation?
Last edited by RolandVV-360 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Edison Home 2/4 Conversion

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Sometimes you can get the adapter kits, but it's often a lot cheaper to buy either a Model D phonograph or find one already so equipped.

I have a B with combination attachment--or at least three-quarters of one. They're nicely made. However, they're a lot easier to find already attached to an old phonograph so it's easier to sell a 2-m machine and then upgrade.

Just my two cents but adjust for inflation.

RolandVV-360
Victor II

Post by RolandVV-360 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Sometimes you can get the adapter kits, but it's often a lot cheaper to buy either a Model D phonograph or find one already so equipped.

I have a B with combination attachment--or at least three-quarters of one. They're nicely made. However, they're a lot easier to find already attached to an old phonograph so it's easier to sell a 2-m machine and then upgrade.

Just my two cents but adjust for inflation.
How much do these conversion kits run, usually? I may also be want to convert it to the large carrier eye carriage. Would that be possible?
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The kits required to convert a two minute Home or Triumph are quite extensive and include a different complete feed screw and mandrel with shaft as well as the shifting mechanism. Plus the kits are slightly different between the A, B, and C series machines. There is no way to modify the parts on your two minute Home. You need the conversion parts for your specific model of Edison Home.

VanEpsFan gave good advice. You are probably better off to service and clean your two minute Home, sell it, and apply the proceeds to buy what you really want. What can you net for your two minute Home? At the next O'Hare Expo in June I'll have a Model B Home with 2&4 minute gearing and it will be priced at $400. It has its original finish including the paint and striping on the deck.

A word of caution... If you decide to look for the correct parts to upgrade your Home you need to know exactly what you need. The unique parts are marked. For example, a feed screw might be marked H B (Home model B), and it may be only a fraction of an inch different from a H C feed screw. But that small difference in length is critical. Parts that are interchangeable between a Home and Triumph will be marked as "Model B" or "Model D", etc.

Jerry B.

RolandVV-360
Victor II

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Jerry B. wrote:The kits required to convert a two minute Home or Triumph are quite extensive and include a different complete feed screw and mandrel with shaft as well as the shifting mechanism. Plus the kits are slightly different between the A, B, and C series machines. There is no way to modify the parts on your two minute Home. You need the conversion parts for your specific model of Edison Home.

VanEpsFan gave good advice. You are probably better off to service and clean your two minute Home, sell it, and apply the proceeds to buy what you really want. What can you net for your two minute Home? At the next O'Hare Expo in June I'll have a Model B Home with 2&4 minute gearing and it will be priced at $400. It has its original finish including the paint and striping on the deck.

A word of caution... If you decide to look for the correct parts to upgrade your Home you need to know exactly what you need. The unique parts are marked. For example, a feed screw might be marked H B (Home model B), and it may be only a fraction of an inch different from a H C feed screw. But that small difference in length is critical. Parts that are interchangeable between a Home and Triumph will be marked as "Model B" or "Model D", etc.

Jerry B.
I intend to keep this machine since it would be difficult for me get another one (at least at the price I got it at) unless I went all the way to phono-show; none of which are near me.

This combination kit just came up on Ebay, and in the literature included it states that it is for the Model A and B.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363243883091

Is this kit complete and comprehensive? I don't see a switch in the photos. If this set does not contain everything I need, could you please point me in the direction of a forum member that may have the parts necessary? Also, how different do the large-diaphragm reproducers sound compared to the small-diaphragm models?
Last edited by RolandVV-360 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Roland

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I think it's what you need minus the H reproducer. Am I missing anything? Others?

Jerry B.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

RolandVV-360 wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:The kits required to convert a two minute Home or Triumph are quite extensive and include a different complete feed screw and mandrel with shaft as well as the shifting mechanism. Plus the kits are slightly different between the A, B, and C series machines. There is no way to modify the parts on your two minute Home. You need the conversion parts for your specific model of Edison Home.

Jerry B.
I intend to keep this machine since it would be difficult for me get another one (at least at the price I got it at) unless I went all the way to phono-show; none of which are near me.

This combination kit just came up on Ebay, and in the literature included it states that it is for the Model A and B.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363243883091

Is this kit complete and comprehensive? I don't see a switch in the photos. If this set does not contain everything I need, could you please point me in the direction of a forum member that may have the parts necessary? Also, how different due the large-diaphragm reproducers sound compared to the small-diaphragm models?
AFAIK, the switch was only included with the Model A conversion kits. The Model B kit as shown has the raised ridge on the shifter which makes it easy to push and pull it to adjust the speed.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

The Ebay conversion kit linked in this thread sold for about $307 plus postage. It's cheaper to buy a complete machine.

Jerry B.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Jerry B. wrote:The Ebay conversion kit linked in this thread sold for about $307 plus postage. It's cheaper to buy a complete machine.

Jerry B.
In this case, the kit was "new old stock" complete with original wraps, box, and instructions, something that is quite rare.

The typical unit sold today has only the parts and sells for maybe half the hammer price of this lot. Of course they don't show up very often since they would be removed from an otherwise junk machine.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

This video gives an overview of the 2/4 gearing on the Home and triumph machines and how it works:
https://youtu.be/0LR5xxupUKs