Gramophone driven using weights instead of a spring ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Gramophone driven using weights instead of a spring ?

Post by poodling around »

Have I read some-where that some gramophone turn-tables were driven using a weight on the end of a piece of string ? The weight gradually lowered to the ground and this powered the turntable ? Therefore no spring required ?

If this is a real thing, does anyone have one - or have a photo or some information about them ?

Or did I dream this ?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Gramophone driven using weights instead of a spring ?

Post by CarlosV »

Below is a phonograph, not a gramophone, it is a French Lioret. You can see the weight chain under the machine. The recording turntables were also moved by weights. I never saw a weight-driven disc gramophone, but they may exist.
Attachments
Lioret.jpg

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

Most studio recording lathes were powered that way.
A gramophone needs more power to overcome drag on the record compared with the wax cutter on a lathe and a lathe needs about 40lb and a 4 foot drop or less weight and a longer drop.

the Loiret cylinder demonstration machine was equipped with a weight motor, someone added that while I was typing

poodling around
Victor V

I see - sort of.

Can anyone explain / show how this system actually worked ? The mechanics. Maybe a diagram or patent or something showing the 'mechanics' ?

Something clear and simple for me to understand. Like those books for 'Dummies' lol !

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Simply speaking a Lioret machine works similar to a weight driven cuckoo clock. The weight powers the gearing instead of spring driven gearing.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The only weight driven gramophone I have ever seen appeared at an auction in Bristol in 2008. Clearly home made, it had a spring motor modified to be weight driven, and to run for the duration of a record this required a drop of several feet. The EMG style horn had it's narrow end greatly lengthened into a saxophone shape, and the entire machine was mounted on a giant wooden frame. It sold for a little over £200, with most of it's value being in it's EMG soundbox. Also included in the sale was a wooden stool for the buyer to stand on when operating the machine.

It made the front cover of the Summer 2008 CLPGS magazine, which included a full description with pictures. It would be interesting to know it's present whereabouts.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:The only weight driven gramophone I have ever seen appeared at an auction in Bristol in 2008. Clearly home made, it had a spring motor modified to be weight driven, and to run for the duration of a record this required a drop of several feet. The EMG style horn had it's narrow end greatly lengthened into a saxophone shape, and the entire machine was mounted on a giant wooden frame. It sold for a little over £200, with most of it's value being in it's EMG soundbox. Also included in the sale was a wooden stool for the buyer to stand on when operating the machine.

It made the front cover of the Summer 2008 CLPGS magazine, which included a full description with pictures. It would be interesting to know it's present whereabouts.
Very interesting indeed.

Thanks epigramophone.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

epigramophone wrote:The only weight driven gramophone I have ever seen appeared at an auction in Bristol in 2008. Clearly home made, it had a spring motor modified to be weight driven, and to run for the duration of a record this required a drop of several feet. The EMG style horn had it's narrow end greatly lengthened into a saxophone shape, and the entire machine was mounted on a giant wooden frame. It sold for a little over £200, with most of it's value being in it's EMG soundbox. Also included in the sale was a wooden stool for the buyer to stand on when operating the machine.

Do you have a picture of it?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As the front covers of more recent magazines are on the CLPGS website for anyone to view, I am happy to post the cover of my personal Summer 2008 copy.
The article within the magazine is of course subject to copyright, so I cannot reproduce it here.
As you can see, I was not exaggerating about the machine's bizarre appearance :shock: .
Attachments
Image.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote:As the front covers of more recent magazines are on the CLPGS website for anyone to view, I am happy to post the cover of my personal Summer 2008 copy.
The article within the magazine is of course subject to copyright, so I cannot reproduce it here.
As you can see, I was not exaggerating about the machine's bizarre appearance :shock: .
Very strange indeed! And replacing records while standing on that narrow stool suddenly becomes a dangerous action. It might however have a good sound, as the horn looks exponentially shaped and the soundbox is one of the best that can be found.