Nice 10-35 at Stantons

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Nice 10-35 at Stantons

Post by GregVTLA »

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/95 ... phonograph

You don't see these too often, I love mine.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Nice 10-35 at Stantons

Post by gramophone-georg »

GregVTLA wrote:https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/95 ... phonograph

You don't see these too often, I love mine.
Agree, my 10-35 is one of my favorites!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Are there any potential pot metal nasties laying in ambush ? Or was pot metal not used in this machine? And any idea of how shippable this is, weight wise ? MANY THANKS for any info !!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

There was a first design and a second design to this machine. The first design was sort of a disaster and was recalled. This looks like a second design from what I can see but we really need more pics to be sure.

The mechanism is quite robust, but very complicated and quite difficult to adjust properly if out of whack.

If I had to guess on weight, I'd say maybe 100-150 lbs. Just a guess, though.

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

Any ideas anyone on what the shiny metal, heavily bolted, reproducer is? I don't think I ever remember seeing one like it.

Kurt M
Tacoma WA

light-o-matic
Victor Jr

Post by light-o-matic »

jukejunkie wrote:Any ideas anyone on what the shiny metal, heavily bolted, reproducer is? I don't think I ever remember seeing one like it.

Kurt M
Tacoma WA
I am pretty sure that machine belonged to Greg Bogantz. Greg wanted to see if he could develop a better orthophonic reproducer using only materials available in 1925. He made a number of prototypes. I visited him a number of times and he demoed those reproducers for me. I believe that is what you are seeing in the photo.

pallophotophone
Victor II

gramophone-georg wrote:There was a first design and a second design to this machine. The first design was sort of a disaster and was recalled. This looks like a second design from what I can see but we really need more pics to be sure.

The mechanism is quite robust, but very complicated and quite difficult to adjust properly if out of whack.

If I had to guess on weight, I'd say maybe 100-150 lbs. Just a guess, though.

Thank You, George !

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

pallophotophone wrote:Are there any potential pot metal nasties laying in ambush ? Or was pot metal not used in this machine? And any idea of how shippable this is, weight wise ? MANY THANKS for any info !!
No fragile pot metal that I noticed going through mine, and for price to ship I'd have to guess around $200. Could get pretty expensive to ship, but this is one of my favorite machines and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
Last edited by GregVTLA on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pallophotophone
Victor II

GregVTLA wrote:
pallophotophone wrote:Are there any potential pot metal nasties laying in ambush ? Or was pot metal not used in this machine? And any idea of how shippable this is, weight wise ? MANY THANKS for any info !!
No fragile pot metal that I noticed going through mine, and for weight I'd have to guess around $200. Could get pretty expensive to ship, but this is one of my favorite machines and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Hat's in the ring ! I've always wanted an orthophonic with a metal horn. Maybe it's my time.

Many Thanks !!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

pallophotophone wrote:
GregVTLA wrote:
No fragile pot metal that I noticed going through mine, and for weight I'd have to guess around $200. Could get pretty expensive to ship, but this is one of my favorite machines and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Hat's in the ring ! I've always wanted an orthophonic with a metal horn. Maybe it's my time.

Many Thanks !!
You won't regret it. Check all the wiring and contact Carlton (Electrolaman) about a replacement rubber kit and service info, as well as tips on how to renew the "grab" of the turntable which is necessary for proper changing without shattering records.

Between Greg, Carlton, and I we can probably walk you through any issues. It may be tedious to get everything serviced and adjusted, but once done, you will love this machine. Of course, if this was Bogantz' machine, it will likely be in pretty good order already!