Cleaning phonograph after rust removal

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
holmes54
Victor Jr

Cleaning phonograph after rust removal

Post by holmes54 »

I have a very rusty Edison Home Model D that I have used Evapo-rust on to remove the rust. It has worked great. For the majority of the machine I have soaked in the evapo rust and then rinsed with water, patted dry and then used wire brushes on my drill to clean them up more. The problem I'm running into now is with the screws and springs as well as the bedplate. Since I can't really clean the screws and springs with my wire brush I just rinsed them off with water after coming out of the evapo rust but then they immediately rust again just on the surface. I have the same problem with the bed plate since I want to preserve the original paint where it remains and dont want to use the wire brushes on it.
Since these pieces were so heavily rusted they come out of the evapo rust with no rust on them but they do need to be rinsed off in some way and cleaned. What do you use for cleaning when you are doing your restorations? Thank you for the help!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Cleaning phonograph after rust removal

Post by gramophone-georg »

holmes54 wrote:I have a very rusty Edison Home Model D that I have used Evapo-rust on to remove the rust. It has worked great. For the majority of the machine I have soaked in the evapo rust and then rinsed with water, patted dry and then used wire brushes on my drill to clean them up more. The problem I'm running into now is with the screws and springs as well as the bedplate. Since I can't really clean the screws and springs with my wire brush I just rinsed them off with water after coming out of the evapo rust but then they immediately rust again just on the surface. I have the same problem with the bed plate since I want to preserve the original paint where it remains and dont want to use the wire brushes on it.
Since these pieces were so heavily rusted they come out of the evapo rust with no rust on them but they do need to be rinsed off in some way and cleaned. What do you use for cleaning when you are doing your restorations? Thank you for the help!
Rinse them with more Evapo- Rust rather than water.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Straight after rinsing with water I pat the parts dry, I then use my butane gas jet lighter to dry any moisture from the item, so it doesn't get time to rust.
You'll actually see the metal chance colour as the water evaporates
Once it's cooled, you can oil, paint, or coat the item with whatever takes your fancy, to prevent the surface rust forming.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

You can use Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor to prevent rust from forming again. Indoors it lasts a log time. Of course, oil or wax works as well, but may not be desired in all cases.

Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Boeshield T-9 is a heavy-duty, rust and corrosion preventive developed by The Boeing Company for lubrication and protection of aircraft components. Specially formulated combination of solvents, waxes and lubricants coats and protects smooth and porous metals from rust and corrosion. Displaces moisture and lubricates at the same time. Dries to a thin, waxy film that will not harm paints, plastics and vinyls. Not easily removed once dried; requires mineral spirits or degreaser.

https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Corros ... B001447PEK
Attachments
513Hd-U3ciL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Curt A wrote:Boeshield T-9 is a heavy-duty, rust and corrosion preventive developed by The Boeing Company for lubrication and protection of aircraft components. Specially formulated combination of solvents, waxes and lubricants coats and protects smooth and porous metals from rust and corrosion. Displaces moisture and lubricates at the same time. Dries to a thin, waxy film that will not harm paints, plastics and vinyls. Not easily removed once dried; requires mineral spirits or degreaser.

https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Corros ... B001447PEK

Yup! That's the stuff. My friend did a little study a few years back. He took 5 pieces of bare sheet metal, treated each with a different "rust preventer", and left them outside for 6 months or better. Short story: Boeshield wins.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

From the Evapo Rust site:

"To prevent flash rusting, dip the item back into clean Evapo-Rust®. Then allow item to air dry. This will prevent rust for up to two weeks"

Just FYI. No need to get a different product to prevent short term flash rust.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek