HMV de Luxe model 3,gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Re: HMV de Luxe model 3,gramophone

Post by Garret »

Wow! Wo haben Sie so ein Grammophon gefunden? Wenn ich in Ihre Stelle wäre, würde es schon gekauft...

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

poodling around wrote:So did HMV make gramophones outside of England and India ?
External horn machines were definitely being manufactured in Germany, Spain and I think France.
I've seen a French Trademark model in Mahogany, so I assume they continued making machines through the teens and twenties. They definitely made their own 460's.
I've also seen portables made in Russia and Italy.

HMV also made machines here in Australia.
We got a whole range of upright and table models made in Middlesex, that were never offered in the UK, just after WWI.
But by the mid 1930's HMV in Homebush, Sydney, were making radiograms and spring powered portables.
Both my spring powered 122 and my 97 are Australian made, and I even have a round metal portable that looks like a cake tin, that was made in Homebush for the Buena Noevas Good News religious group in 1952-53.
It was used by door to door "salesmen" and in Aboriginal communities, and ethnic groups/households, to spread the good news lol.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

gramophoneshane wrote:
poodling around wrote:So did HMV make gramophones outside of England and India ?
External horn machines were definitely being manufactured in Germany, Spain and I think France.
I've seen a French Trademark model in Mahogany, so I assume they continued making machines through the teens and twenties. They definitely made their own 460's.
I've also seen portables made in Russia and Italy.

HMV also made machines here in Australia.
We got a whole range of upright and table models made in Middlesex, that were never offered in the UK, just after WWI.
But by the mid 1930's HMV in Homebush, Sydney, were making radiograms and spring powered portables.
Both my spring powered 122 and my 97 are Australian made, and I even have a round metal portable that looks like a cake tin, that was made in Homebush for the Buena Noevas Good News religious group in 1952-53.
It was used by door to door "salesmen" and in Aboriginal communities, and ethnic groups/households, to spread the good news lol.
Thank you gramophoneshane !

I would love to research this a bit more as I know nothing about this.

I think you mention that HMV actually made / manufactured their machines in Germany, Spain, France, Russia Italy and Australia. Do you have a link for me to be able to read more about this ?

Thank you again - absolutely fascinating stuff !

poodling around
Victor V

blau28 wrote:Hello

This gramophone is 100 % original, and during 1908/1909 was the top of the range horn machine that HMV offers in their catalogues in a lot of European countries: Spain, Germany, Rusia and UK between others.
This model never was produced or sell in India.
See attached catalogs copies:

Regards
Albert.
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post the adverts and information. Extremely interesting.

Why isn't the HMV company directly mentioned in the adverts though I wonder ? (Maybe I missed it though ?).

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The HMV name does not appear in those advertisements because at the time it was not the company's main trademark --the word 'Gramophone' was a proprietary name, which lost its status in the UK in 1909, but many have lasted longer in other countries.
'
For the De Luxe III and the closely related 'Empire' models of 1909-11, see pages 52-55 of 'His Master's Gramophone'. Gramophones were assembled in various centres, especially Germany and France, at that time. The mechanical parts all came from Victor, and the cases were made locally - in German, in the UK and probably also in France and Spain. Spain had some very elaborate cases, but the De Luxe III was sold in many markets, almost certainly including the UK.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

[poodling around (quote) "I would love to research this a bit more as I know nothing about this.
I think you mention that HMV actually made / manufactured their machines in Germany, Spain, France, Russia Italy and Australia. Do you have a link for me to be able to read more about this?"]

This book, out of print but easily available on eBay, includes a section on the history of HMV and their overseas operations :
Attachments
Nipper.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Oedipus wrote:The HMV name does not appear in those advertisements because at the time it was not the company's main trademark --the word 'Gramophone' was a proprietary name, which lost its status in the UK in 1909, but many have lasted longer in other countries.
'
For the De Luxe III and the closely related 'Empire' models of 1909-11, see pages 52-55 of 'His Master's Gramophone'. Gramophones were assembled in various centres, especially Germany and France, at that time. The mechanical parts all came from Victor, and the cases were made locally - in German, in the UK and probably also in France and Spain. Spain had some very elaborate cases, but the De Luxe III was sold in many markets, almost certainly including the UK.
Aha - I see ! Thank you Oedipus !

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:[poodling around (quote) "I would love to research this a bit more as I know nothing about this.
I think you mention that HMV actually made / manufactured their machines in Germany, Spain, France, Russia Italy and Australia. Do you have a link for me to be able to read more about this?"]

This book, out of print but easily available on eBay, includes a section on the history of HMV and their overseas operations :

Fantastic ! I will buy this book then.

Sorry I have de-railed this thread - I now understand much better and am grateful and will now happily 'shut-up'.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I want to hear what happens with this machine. Hope this person doesn't just post and bail...

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Garret wrote:I want to hear what happens with this machine. Hope this person doesn't just post and bail...
That does tend to happen, I agree.