Speed Control On A Victor IV (V,VI & Early Victrolas)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Speed Control On A Victor IV (V,VI & Early Victrolas)

Post by Jerry B. »

I am working on a Victor IV project. The nickeling on some of the parts including the speed control is less than desirable. I sorted through my parts and found a few candidates to replace the one with poor plating.

top photo - The higher end horn machines in my collection all have this version of the speed control. Also two early Victrolas marked "VTLA" this control The interesting markings are the 76 and then 80. I suppose this results from the fact that early recording were recorded at slightly different speeds.

middle photo - The two "L" door XVIs in my collection have this version. The important markings are 78 and 80. Perhaps at this time the target speed for most recordings was 78rpm.

bottom photo - This must be the last version of this speed control. It's marked 78 with slow on one side and fast on the other.

In my phono travels I have noticed the 76 to 80 version and the 78 to 80 version but never the 78 slow/fast version except the one in my parts bin. I admit to having no recollection of how and where I acquired that version. Have others seen the slow/fast version and on what model machine?

Have owners of late horn machines seen the 78-80 version on a machine?

I have the luxury of a phono friend that does some plating and he is plating a few of the Victor IV parts including the 76 to 80 version speed control that I removed from the deck. He does plating that does not look "in your face new." The bright parts will look and blend with parts that were not recently plated. Opinions?

Jerry Blais
Attachments
311E8996-88C1-4466-B0FC-790C4FF02255.jpeg
A0485184-F5EE-4BC9-AA48-A8446CF29B57.jpeg
394ADCEC-5438-4251-B4D2-958A2DCDBFA7.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Speed Control On A Victor IV (V,VI & Early Victrolas)

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry,

FWIW, my early L-Door XVI has the 76 - 80 control.