La Voz de Su Amo art nouveau gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: La Voz de Su Amo art nouveau gramophone

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Completely wrong "playing angle" (= tracking error) with absolutely no attempt to seriously consider it.

Whether the needle reaches the spindle or not has little to no importance. In general, some moderate overhang helps in getting a low and relatively constant tracking error, however tonearms with a decent tracking error figure can be engineered even with zero or negative overhang.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Completely wrong "playing angle" (= tracking error) with absolutely no attempt to seriously consider it.

Whether the needle reaches the spindle or not has little to no importance. In general, some moderate overhang helps in getting a low and relatively constant tracking error, however tonearms with a decent tracking error figure can be engineered even with zero or negative overhang.

Thanks very much Marco, I didn't know that whether the needle reaches the spindle has virtually no importance.

Always something new to learn.

Very interesting indeed.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I also have a Model 13C and the needle chuck rests approximately ½ inch short of the spindle.

This is how they were made. My example has a back-bracket with serial number.

I also have the Spanish catalogues so I can assure you your machine is genuine and a beautiful rare original piece. I also have the Model 9 and it has a uniquely shaped back-bracket with serial number but it is also manufactured from cast brass!

Clearly the Spanish company had a mixture of standard Victor parts and some manufactured on the home front. They are not all exactly consistent from one model to the next. There are multiple variations of each model and many manufacturing differences within each model.

I particularly like the horns which are unique to Spain, both the multi coloured flower horns and the uniquely veneered wooden horns. Were these made in France? I suspect so. The flower horns are very similar to those made for Pathé etc.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote:I also have a Model 13C and the needle chuck rests approximately ½ inch short of the spindle.

I also have the Spanish catalogues so I can assure you your machine is genuine and a beautiful rare original piece. I also have the Model 9 and it has a uniquely shaped back-bracket with serial number but it is also manufactured from cast brass!

Clearly the Spanish company had a mixture of standard Victor parts and some manufactured on the home front. They are not all exactly consistent from one model to the next. There are multiple variations of each model and many manufacturing differences within each model.

I particularly like the horns which are unique to Spain, both the multi coloured flower horns and the uniquely veneered wooden horns. Were these made in France? I suspect so. The flower horns are very similar to those made for Pathé etc.

Post the Spanish catalogue so we cam all see !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'd add it if I could although I see some catalogue scans are already uploaded here.

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

Steve wrote:I also have a Model 13C and the needle chuck rests approximately ½ inch short of the spindle.

Dear Steve,
Thank you very much for your reply and I apologize for the delay in replying to you.
What you write clarifies all my doubts!
Thanks again,
Enrico