Found in the wild, Victor M

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Found in the wild, Victor M

Post by Django »

I was the lucky first responder to a Facebook ad for a rough, but complete Victor M. It had not been touched since 1957. The brake is frozen for now, but I pulled the turntable off and the motor started running and was surprisingly quiet. I will post some after pictures, but it will be a while.
Attachments
EE489E90-5D84-49F1-A92C-D78F172CD7E3.jpeg
468955B8-88B2-4378-BCB1-E115E0E58D54.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Found in the wild, Victor M

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Goodness, that one's awfully dusty.

Where was it sitting since 1957? I wonder how it got put up there for so long without anyone even looking...who has a room in their house they lock for over 60 years?

I love finds like this and it's great that you laid claim to it. Thanks for saving another one!

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

How wonderful! I had a similar experience back in the ‘90s when I was living in L.A.
I didn’t know anything about horn machines then and I found a dusty front-mount machine at a local pawn shop for $100. It was just as dirty and dusty as this one and the motor still worked well. I just cleaned the machine up and had the reproducer rebuilt. Turned out to be a Sousa model Talk-o-phone. Kept it a few years and sold it for much more than I paid.
Congrats on your find!

Steven

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations on an exciting find! My Victor M was a similar fun project. It was like the Tin Man in Tue Wizzard of OZ, The u-tube, with Exhibition, was in mid rotation towards the turntable. We'll always wonder how many years passed between plays. Enjoy!

Jerry B.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Nice!!! I look forward to seeing your pictures of the restoration.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I fid it very appealing that there are still unwashed and unloved treasures to be found in the wild. Congratulations! :mrgreen:
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I would've snapped it up for sure!edisonplayer.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

audiophile102 wrote:I fid it very appealing that there are still unwashed and unloved treasures to be found in the wild. Congratulations! :mrgreen:
The machine belongs to the seller’s uncle. The man died in 1957 and the machine had not been touched since. The man’s sister kept it as a remembrance of her brother.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Goodness, that one's awfully dusty.

Where was it sitting since 1957? I wonder how it got put up there for so long without anyone even looking...who has a room in their house they lock for over 60 years?

I love finds like this and it's great that you laid claim to it. Thanks for saving another one!

In this context, the dust is beautiful !!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Just a quick update. I don’t intend to do a complete restoration, (only original once and all that). The cabinet will get some more cleaning, smoothing and polishing and the motor will get serviced, but nothing will get re-plated and I don’t think that I will redo to back bracket, The pin striping is still there, but faded. The Nickel plating on the reproducer was corroded, so the plated, front shell was replaced while salvaging the back and stylus from the original. It still has a long way to go, but once I started polishing the corrosion and cleaning the cabinet to see what I had, I couldn’t seem to stay away from it. I have always preferred to do more of a rejuvenation than a restoration. Maybe the next owner, (after my lifetime), will want it to look factory fresh, but I like survivors. I borrowed the horn from my Humpback for the pictures. The original horn has good bones, but needs some love.
Attachments
DB328B77-43BC-4F28-8A73-D82956439301.jpeg
66586C98-FD4E-4E4E-B05F-CF8852DAB581.jpeg
B4E2DCEE-6BF1-4AC6-86FB-24EA371AF9DA.jpeg