Review of the Expert All Range Gramophone from 1940

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Review of the Expert All Range Gramophone from 1940

Post by phonosandradios »

I was looking through my set of The Gramophone magazine and came across a review of the Expert All Range that appeared in the April 1940 edition. I thought it might be of interest so I have scanned the page and attached below.

Currently I have a run of The gramophone magazine from June 1930 through to May 1940 and in going through them it seems that Expert advertised regularly (every month) through most of that period not only their gramophones but also the various products they produced. This is however the only review I have found so far in the magazines "Technical Reports" section of this type of gramophone. It is just surprising to see it done as late as 1940.
Attachments
expert review April 1940.pdf
(540.52 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Review of the Expert All Range Gramophone from 1940

Post by CarlosV »

Quite interesting review, thanks for sharing it!

It mentions evolution in the soundbox design, which are not identified, and also compares the machine's performance with that of an electric system. As you said, quite an oddity in 1940!

phonosandradios
Victor II

Yes, interesting that they do a direct comparison with an Expert Master speaker for which I found the advert below. But I have not heard of the Expert "Dynamic" soundbox which the ad below indicates was a new development (ad appearing in May 1940). I wonder how it differed from the earlier soundboxes
Attachments
Expert masterspeaker 1.jpg
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

Ginn was famous for his salesmanship. I suspect you are reading too much into this advertisement. The "Dynamic" soundbox was not new in 1940 it was already in his brochure (see below) when the business was based at 10a Soho Square (I'll have to go and check the actual date in my copy of Francis James' book.....) by 1935. Has anybody seen a newer version of the "Dynamic" soundbox?
Attachments
expert_catalogue_soho_sq.jpg
expert_catalogue_soho_sq.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 1566 times

phonosandradios
Victor II

Thanks for posting a copy of the brochure. The review from The Gramophone mentions the difference between the performance of new dynamic and the older dynamic soundboxes so I guess they must of continued its development. If anyone is aware of what the changes were as it would be interesting to know.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

The Ginn "dynamic" soundbox was introduced, so I was told, around 1935.(I cannot check myself as my "Gramophone" magazines have a substantial gap for several years, until 1940). Frank said (with a wry grin), that it was a advertising ploy by Ginn, and the only difference to the ordinary four spring box was the insulatory rubber on the stylus plate, but since I have never handled one, I cannot really comment on it
Frank's favourite soundbox was the "long bar" model by Ginn.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

old country chemist wrote:The Ginn "dynamic" soundbox was introduced, so I was told, around 1935.(I cannot check myself as my "Gramophone" magazines have a substantial gap for several years, until 1940). Frank said (with a wry grin), that it was a advertising ploy by Ginn, and the only difference to the ordinary four spring box was the insulatory rubber on the stylus plate, but since I have never handled one, I cannot really comment on it
By coincidence, I have 'The Gramophone' magazines volumes 11 and 12 for 1934 and 1935 out for reading at the moment.

I will have a look to see if there seems to be anything relevant.

poodling around
Victor V

old country chemist wrote:The Ginn "dynamic" soundbox was introduced, so I was told, around 1935.(I cannot check myself as my "Gramophone" magazines have a substantial gap for several years, until 1940). Frank said (with a wry grin), that it was a advertising ploy by Ginn, and the only difference to the ordinary four spring box was the insulatory rubber on the stylus plate, but since I have never handled one, I cannot really comment on it

Oh, I found the review article I think in January 1935 - entitled: 'The "Expert" Dynamic Soundbox. (January 1935 - page 327.

phonosandradios
Victor II

poodling around wrote:

Oh, I found the review article I think in January 1935 - entitled: 'The "Expert" Dynamic Soundbox. (January 1935 - page 327.
Thanks. That was quick work :) I might start at May 1940 and work backwards through to the start of 1939 and see if there is any mention of a new dynamic soundbox. It certainly is no hardship going back through these old copies of The Gramophone and just at the moment I have the time on my hands too.

poodling around
Victor V

phonosandradios wrote:
poodling around wrote:

Thanks. That was quick work :) I might start at May 1940 and work backwards through to the start of 1939 and see if there is any mention of a new dynamic soundbox. It certainly is no hardship going back through these old copies of The Gramophone and just at the moment I have the time on my hands too.

Oh, I have just seen an advert for "A New 'Expert' sound-box' - 'The New Sound-box':"The Expert Dynamic" It is in 'The Gramophone' February 1934 page 349 (bottom right hand corner).

As you say, I too love reading through these 'The Gramophone' publications - no hardship at all !