FOR SALE: New Price $20 "Fabulous Phono"&"From Tinfoil to Stereo"

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
MTPhono
Victor III

FOR SALE: New Price $20 "Fabulous Phono"&"From Tinfoil to Stereo"

Post by MTPhono »

Offered from my collection are:

1. "The Fabulous Phonograph 1877-1977" by Roland Gelatt ca. 1977 - excellent condition. One of the first reference books for the phonograph collector.

2. "From Tinfoil to Stereo" by Read and Welch ca. 1977 - excellent condition with sun bleached spine. A classic amongst the early phonograph books.

NOW $20 for both + shipping
Attachments
PXL_20210125_031105109.jpg
2021-01-24 19.11.21.jpg
Last edited by MTPhono on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: FOR SALE: "The Fabulous Phonograph"&"From Tinfoil to Ste

Post by Jerry B. »

Those books were about all we had in the 1970s.

Jerry B.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Jerry B. wrote:Those books were about all we had in the 1970s.

Jerry B.
Thank God for George and Tim and their contributions to our libraries! We are so lucky to have their books today.

I still like having the early phono books - these happen to be duplicates.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

MTPhono wrote:
Thank God for George and Tim and their contributions to our libraries! We are so lucky to have their books today.
Thank you for those kind words, Scott.

We collectors are fortunate to have excellent resource books written by a number of authors, including Bob Baumbach, Ron Dethlefson, George Frow, Howard Hazelcorn, Allen Koenigsberg, Brian Oakley, Christopher Proudfoot, Eric Reiss, Joan & Robin Rolfs, Rene Rondeau, Mike Sherman, Allan Sutton, Ray Wile, and others. Back in the 1960s it was certainly a different world in which to be collecting.

George P.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Reference books may have been difficult to find in the 1960's, but it was not all bad news. We had junk shops, jumble sales and whole house contents sold by auction on the premises, until burglars began reading the auction announcements and breaking in before the event. After that the sales took place at the auction rooms, and even then there were no buyer's premiums to pay.

Machines and records could be acquired very cheaply or for nothing. Many elderly owners, whose prized possessions they had been, were happy to give them to collectors for preservation rather than see them end up on the scrapheap.

Now there is almost too much information out there, not all of it accurate, and everyone who watches "Bargain Hunt" on BBC TV thinks that they are an expert.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
MTPhono wrote:
Thank you for those kind words, Scott.

We collectors are fortunate to have excellent resource books written by a number of authors, including Bob Baumbach, Ron Dethlefson, George Frow, Howard Hazelcorn, Allen Koenigsberg, Brian Oakley, Christopher Proudfoot, Eric Reiss, Joan & Robin Rolfs, Rene Rondeau, Mike Sherman, Allan Sutton, Ray Wile, and others. Back in the 1960s it was certainly a different world in which to be collecting.

George P.
Hear, hear on both accounts! I couldn't agree more.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

epigramophone wrote:Reference books may have been difficult to find in the 1960's, but it was not all bad news. We had junk shops, jumble sales and whole house contents sold by auction on the premises, until burglars began reading the auction announcements and breaking in before the event. After that the sales took place at the auction rooms, and even then there were no buyer's premiums to pay.

Machines and records could be acquired very cheaply or for nothing. Many elderly owners, whose prized possessions they had been, were happy to give them to collectors for preservation rather than see them end up on the scrapheap.

Now there is almost too much information out there, not all of it accurate, and everyone who watches "Bargain Hunt" on BBC TV thinks that they are an expert.
Your recollections really take me back. I'm as nostalgic - or more so - than many. In those balmy pre-Internet days, one could really find local bargains if they applied themselves. As a teenager and all through my 20s and early 30s, nearly every weekend included a few hours happily rummaging through antique shops or yard sales. I could recite items and prices that would amaze younger collectors...but of course it was a different time, and gas (petrol to you!) was 35 cents a gallon (at least when I started driving). They were wonderful days in a way, and the memories of wonderful discoveries warms my heart. Sometimes I yearn to go back.

...But a few months ago, I was curious about just how much I had added to my collection via the Internet, so I did a quick circuit of my phonospace. It was something of a revelation. I certainly don't find the bargains I used to find, but then I don't collect bargains. I'd hate to lose what I've bought over the Internet - even with a full refund. Maybe collectors our age are particularly blessed to have so much at our fingertips now, while enjoying the warm memories of our youthful summers.

George P.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In my case, I acquired email and internet in 1997. By then I had 500-600 78s. After that (discovery of the 78-l and other mail auction sites in the States and in UK, Nauck, private sellers, etc) my collection has increased to 6000 78s. So I can't say any bad about the web. I also miss those old days... but I've bought 78s by the web that today are much more expensive... so they were bargains! Nevertheless, there's a magical thing in finding things in the wild, antique stores and flea markets... The covid has put all that in a halt. Yet at the beginning of 2020, there was a strange down tendency in prices in our flea market for gramophones. I hope it will continue when the flea market starts again. It's going to be a strange situation, though... One can expect anything, after a two years closure!
Inigo

MTPhono
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: New Price $20 "Fabulous Phono"&"From Tinfoil to Stereo"

Post by MTPhono »

New Price! Only $20 for both books plus shipping.