Earl Johnson & His Clodhoppers on OKEH

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
toysbyroy
Victor I

Earl Johnson & His Clodhoppers on OKEH

Post by toysbyroy »

I found OKEH 45383 at an antique shop and, after some research, feel that it may have some monetary value. Earl Johnson's music apparently falls into the "race record" genre of the 1920s. Since I do not collect from this genre, I would like to get it to a collector who does. I could use suggestions on how to market it. I have played it both with a Viictrola needle and a modern stylus; it does have scratches and wear, but does not skip. Looking for advice from 78 collectors. Thanks, Roy

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Re: Earl Johnson & His Clodhoppers on OKEH

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

I've sold a lot of 78's on ebay and have been surprised at the prices some of them bring, so I think it is still a good way to get items like yours in front of lots of potential buyers. Nauck's auction might be another good option since it is specific to 78's. I have never used Nauck's to sell records so can't comment on the experience with them. :coffee:
Good luck!

Eastkyphono
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "The beauty of simplicity will never be surpassed."

Post by Eastkyphono »

I collect this kind of music. Are you wanting to sell it or are you interested in trading? I have several different genres on 78 that I could possibly trade. If you are wanting the most money possible for it, I'd suggest ebay. A lot of people will see it and possibly bid. Of course condition also determines value as well.

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »

One like this sold on eBay in November for $200. Mine is playable, but not mint, so I don't expect my copy to bring that much. I'm open to offers.

Eastkyphono
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "The beauty of simplicity will never be surpassed."

Post by Eastkyphono »

What are you interested in? What artists? What genres? I can look in what I have to see if there's anything that fits your interests.

Allens Archive
Victor Jr

Post by Allens Archive »

toysbyroy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm I found OKEH 45383 at an antique shop and, after some research, feel that it may have some monetary value. Earl Johnson's music apparently falls into the "race record" genre of the 1920s. Since I do not collect from this genre, I would like to get it to a collector who does. I could use suggestions on how to market it. I have played it both with a Viictrola needle and a modern stylus; it does have scratches and wear, but does not skip. Looking for advice from 78 collectors. Thanks, Roy
It`s not a race record, it falls into the country/old-time/hillbilly category. The "race record" category usually refers to a black artist singing/playing blues or jazz in collector circles. Ebay is likely the best bet to sell it for the most you can get. Earl Johnson is pretty hot price-wise right now. It having a certain race word in one song title helps run up the value a bit, as it usually does on any pre-war disc. Just accurately grade it and see what it brings, you can always sell on ebay auction with a reserve price.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Allens Archive wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:13 am
toysbyroy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm I found OKEH 45383 at an antique shop and, after some research, feel that it may have some monetary value. Earl Johnson's music apparently falls into the "race record" genre of the 1920s. Since I do not collect from this genre, I would like to get it to a collector who does. I could use suggestions on how to market it. I have played it both with a Viictrola needle and a modern stylus; it does have scratches and wear, but does not skip. Looking for advice from 78 collectors. Thanks, Roy
It`s not a race record, it falls into the country/old-time/hillbilly category. The "race record" category usually refers to a black artist singing/playing blues or jazz in collector circles. Ebay is likely the best bet to sell it for the most you can get. Earl Johnson is pretty hot price-wise right now. It having a certain race word in one song title helps run up the value a bit, as it usually does on any pre-war disc. Just accurately grade it and see what it brings, you can always sell on ebay auction with a reserve price.
Right- on OKeh Electrics, 40000 series is popular, 45000 series is "hillbilly", and 8000 series is "Race".
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »

Thanks everyone for your input!

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »