Japanese record cutter ( recorder)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
markbark
Victor Jr

Japanese record cutter ( recorder)

Post by markbark »

Hi Hope everyone is well! Have you seen the toy record cutting and playing kit from Japan? Has anyone given it a try? Yes, I know what it sounds like from the UTube vids ( Very very bad LOL) still it might be fun to play with. The video says it takes an hour to put together...seems like a long time. Anyway I just thought I'd ask if you have any comments or experience with this " toy ". Thanks, Mark

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Japanese record cutter ( recorder)

Post by poodling around »

This does sound very interesting - I vaguely remember seeing something about this a while ago.

Do you have an ebay link or some other link I wonder ?

markbark
Victor Jr

Post by markbark »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkFcKwJIFzM&t=3s ( it sure ain't a Heathkit :lol:
For Ebay there are several and I'm not giving out this sites free advertising LOL Try Gakken-Toy-Record-Maker at search

ymg200
Victor O

Post by ymg200 »

I've read about this Gakken recorder online when I researched record cutting. This recorder came out less than a year ago and at first it wasn't available anywhere. Now it's being sold on Ebay. I'm tempted to get this recorder, but the problem is that a recording has to be played on a modern machine with electric pickup. This recorder uses plastic discs as a media (probably comparable to vinyl), which are too soft for an acoustic machine. A steel needle with 150 gram of an acoustic reproducer on top of it will plow through the soft record. You have to figure out (please let me know if you do) how to record on a harder material if you want to play back on an acoustic machine. I believe that this recorder actually embosses instead of cutting, but this shouldn't be a problem. The fact that it records at 33 rpm also shouldn't be a problem - you can use a sound processing software to slow down a music that you record so that you can record it at 33, but play at 78 rpm.
Btw, Gakken also makes a cylinder recorder, also available on Ebay. They say you can record on a candle.

ymg200
Victor O

Post by ymg200 »

ymg200 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 pm I've read about this Gakken recorder online when I researched record cutting. This recorder came out less than a year ago and at first it wasn't available anywhere. Now it's being sold on Ebay. I'm tempted to get this recorder, but the problem is that a recording has to be played on a modern machine with electric pickup. This recorder uses plastic discs as a media (probably comparable to vinyl), which are too soft for an acoustic machine. A steel needle with 150 gram of an acoustic reproducer on top of it will plow through the soft record. You have to figure out (please let me know if you do) how to record on a harder material if you want to play back on an acoustic machine. I believe that this recorder actually embosses instead of cutting, but this shouldn't be a problem. The fact that it records at 33 rpm also shouldn't be a problem - you can use a sound processing software to slow down a music that you record so that you can record it at 33, but play at 78 rpm.
Btw, Gakken also makes a cylinder recorder, also available on Ebay. They say you can record on a candle.
On the second thought.... If you want to try playing back those recordings on an acoustic machines, try a needle that's softer than steel - bamboo or BCN. I'd love to find out how it works out. I wonder how long a vinyl record can survive in an acoustic machine if played by bamboo or BCN needle. Another way to ease pressure on a record is a counterweight to offset the weight of a reproducer.