Strange gramophone on eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Strange gramophone on eBay

Post by JerryVan »

poodling around wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:34 pm
Jerry B. wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:20 pm The real question is why buy one at all? Every one is a blemish to our hobby.

Jerry B.
That is true - but sometimes there are some original, old, scarce, genuine parts used, like a tone arm, horn elbow, etc and I think people some-times buy them for these parts.

So, it seems, these crapophones are always worth a 'quick look'.
I've never seen one with any saving graces.

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

Jerry B.-

Agreed... I didn't lay on the sarcasm heavy enough. All of these Crap-O-Phones do a disservice to the ingenuity and craftsmanship of the time. Does anyone buy these things? Where is the market for this stuff? Frankly, I wish I could exclude certain countries from my Ebay searches so I wouldn't even see them.

R.
Last edited by HMVDevotee on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artiebressan
Victor Jr

Post by Artiebressan »

Sometimes there’s even a label on the bottom that says “Made in Crapulvania”. That’s a real sign🙃

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I really think that the only reason people who are not collectors buy them is for a cheap home decoration, which is still difficult to imagine...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Curt A wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:05 pm I really think that the only reason people who are not collectors buy them is for a cheap home decoration, which is still difficult to imagine...
Or, if you're with the BBC, you buy one to use a a prop for a 1930s-1950s period show, making sure you have the tonearm on the wrong side of the record for the close-up shots. ;) "Father Brown Mysteries" and "Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries" come to mind.

OrthoFan

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

That is true - but sometimes there are some original, old, scarce, genuine parts used, like a tone arm, horn elbow, etc and I think people some-times buy them for these parts.
Really, scarce genuine parts? I admit to not paying much attention to crapophones. All I've ever seen for genuine parts are portable motors that utilize the portable's turntable and crank from less desirable machines. Please point out the next one that has valuable parts.

With respect,
Jerry B.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Some are purchased as "Set Dressing" props by film and TV properties buyers who know no better.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

OrthoFan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:13 pm
Or, if you're with the BBC, you buy one to use a a prop for a 1930s-1950s period show, making sure you have the tonearm on the wrong side of the record for the close-up shots. ;) "Father Brown Mysteries" and "Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries" come to mind.

OrthoFan
Eh, eeeh... Some Father Brown chapters show a real hmv tabletop! Which in itself is a pretty detail, as the plot happens in the early fifties... At least in the home of Father Brown.
Inigo

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Curt A wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:05 pm I really think that the only reason people who are not collectors buy them is for a cheap home decoration, which is still difficult to imagine...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48633

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Forum please forgive me. I have a confession to make . I will enroll in a 12 step crap o phone program. Before I started to go on this forum I purchased one . It was around $ 100.00 . I know now I got screwed. I am repentant. When I found out I immediately gave it to my unsuspecting daughter in law. She is happy, I am happy.. Tom