Victrola weak governor springs causing slow motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oliver
Victor I

Re: Victrola weak governor springs causing slow motor

Post by oliver »

Couple more views. Serial is 97179-G. The speed indicator needle is missing.
Attachments
dvvxvi.jpg
cvvxvi.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

oliver wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 pm Couple more views. Serial is 97179-G. The speed indicator needle is missing.
Oliver,

I'd be willing to bet, (but not much $), that the pointer used in later style speed indicators would work and are probably the same.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

JerryVan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm
oliver wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 pm Couple more views. Serial is 97179-G. The speed indicator needle is missing.
Oliver,

I'd be willing to bet, (but not much $), that the pointer used in later style speed indicators would work and are probably the same.
Jerry,

You could have placed a higher bet because you are absolutely correct! I just tried a pointer from a later machine and it's the perfect length.
I haven't tested it for operation because the machine does not run. I inherited this phonograph from a dear friend. During his ownership, the machine never ran and for the last 12 years it's been my turn to leave it alone...I still like it to be complete though...and dusty.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

oliver wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 pm
JerryVan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm
Oliver,

Jerry,

You could have placed a higher bet because you are absolutely correct! I just tried a pointer from a later machine and it's the perfect length.
I haven't tested it for operation because the machine does not run. I inherited this phonograph from a dear friend. During his ownership, the machine never ran and for the last 12 years it's been my turn to leave it alone...I still like it to be complete though...and dusty.
Awesome! I'm a terrible gambler :)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jon,

I agree that new governor springs are the way to go!

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

JerryVan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 pm Jon,

I agree that new governor springs are the way to go!
The new governor springs fixed the speed problem but now i am having an issue with the speed indicator causing to much drag on the governor. When i engage it, it slows the motor down. I have stretched the spring to minimise its strength but it is still to much. I really dont know how this motor even worked right when it was new with that speed indicator mech causing drag, the spring does look original but who knows.. The paper tag was missing and based on the serial number its 1914 but i am pretty sure its a 1913. I am working on an XI table top that serial number indicates 1919 but the tag has 1918 so serial number dating doesnt seem always accurate.
Was going to tinker with the 3 spring motor again today to see if i can get it to run at the right speed but didnt feel like getting frustrated again so i decided to tear down the XI table top instead. It has a 2 spring Burton, love those motors.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

oliver wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 pm @Jonsheff Thank you for the pictures of your machine. Great work! Hope you will post more updates.

I just checked mine and so not see a ballpoint pen spring or a clock hairspring so we can reasonably assume it's incomplete
The retracting spring is missing from your speed indicator assembly so i doubt it will work without it. I wonder if someone removed it years ago due to drag problems like i am having.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Jonsheff wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:06 pm
oliver wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 pm @Jonsheff Thank you for the pictures of your machine. Great work! Hope you will post more updates.

I just checked mine and so not see a ballpoint pen spring or a clock hairspring so we can reasonably assume it's incomplete
The retracting spring is missing from your speed indicator assembly so i doubt it will work without it. I wonder if someone removed it years ago due to drag problems like i am having.
Thank you. I wish I knew. The previous owner had the machine for 30 years and it never ran (due slipped or broken mainspring). I suspect he tinkered with the motor and misplaced that retracting spring . I've now owned the machine for 12 years and just left it the way it was.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

oliver wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm

Thank you. I wish I knew. The previous owner had the machine for 30 years and it never ran (due slipped or broken mainspring). I suspect he tinkered with the motor and misplaced that retracting spring . I've now owned the machine for 12 years and just left it the way it was.
I dont blame you for leaving it as-is, between the hard to align bull gear, the proto-type speed indicator and just generally quirky runnimg motor, i dont look forward to my next one, i am sure it will come up again though. Also had problems with a VTLA motor sprimgs slipping problem that almost drove me as nuts as this one,
I am real close to getting it resolved, i just need to put more time into it, at least its comimg along and getting there. I am goimg to replace the leathers and possibly the sprimg. I will post the final solution i come up with in case you ever tackle yours.
Usually when i rebuild a motor, it just works, and works well. I dont expect to have to F with them to get them to run right.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Jonsheff wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:26 pm
oliver wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
I dont blame you for leaving it as-is, between the hard to align bull gear, the proto-type speed indicator and just generally quirky runnimg motor, i dont look forward to my next one, i am sure it will come up again though. Also had problems with a VTLA motor sprimgs slipping problem that almost drove me as nuts as this one,
I am real close to getting it resolved, i just need to put more time into it, at least its comimg along and getting there. I am goimg to replace the leathers and possibly the sprimg. I will post the final solution i come up with in case you ever tackle yours.
Usually when i rebuild a motor, it just works, and works well. I dont expect to have to F with them to get them to run right.
I'm glad we spoke because I was starting to consider sending the motor out for rebuild but now I'm wondering if it would greatly improve the quality of my life. The machine is currently being used for storing some important papers and I'm rather pleased with its performance in that respect. I'm sure you will be able to iron out the last few kinks on your motor and I would tremendously enjoy reading updates.
MANY THANKS,
Oliver