Early Eddie Duchin Orchestra

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
larryh
Victor IV

Early Eddie Duchin Orchestra

Post by larryh »

I always liked piano so I collected some later 78 sets of Duchin's. But with the Columbia 800 I started to see what his early records were like. Instead of almost exclusively piano with maybe a bit of rhythm backing it up the earlier period has more orchestra, vocals and usually a piano interlude. It doesn't seem that very many people are found of this period but I love the mix of piano, vocals and instruments.

This record is called "I've Got Something In My Eye"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56LM7-J_3Y

With several improvements to the sound i think the old Columbia is sounding pretty peppy.

Larry

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Early Eddie Duchin Orchestra

Post by gramophone-georg »

I had an 810 a few years ago and loved it. Unfortunately it needed to make way for a 10-50! I think the 810 outperformed the Credenza I also had in many ways.

Those early Depression- era Duchin Victors are nice records. i usually lean way more towards hot jazz than dance music but I find myself bidding on these whenever I see them and have really yet to be disappointed. Most of these 24000 series Duchins seem to be of the "higher fidelity" variety, too, which is always nice.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I had an 810 many years ago and loved it, but at the time the Credenza won due to space and ability to move it around, where as the Columbia's are like dead weight heavy. However I agree that in comparison to the Victor the Columbia has a slight difference that I like. I remember reading some critical reviews of the 810 when it first came out and some critics said they felt it was a bit better than the victor Credenza as well.

Zkeener323
Victor I

Post by Zkeener323 »

What is the "higher fidelity variety"?

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I admit I am guessing, but from what I hear on the records of the late 20's and then 30's, you can tell the longer they were perfecting the recording techniques the fuller the music becomes.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Zkeener323 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:24 pm What is the "higher fidelity variety"?
The music has much more "presence", better range, and sounds more like a 1950s recording rather than a 1930s. This seemed to be an ongoing project that Victor kept under wraps right out in the open, sort of like electric Batwings in the beginning of Orthophonic recording. The surface noise is less as well, making me wonder if they were using "Z" shellac on these. There are a few really hot numbers in this series that are recorded too loud- a few late Warings come to mind. All of these recordings are in the early 24000 series and bear the diamond "VE" rather than the oval, though not all diamond issues seem to have the "turbo boost" effect.

In 1936-7 Victor actually issued "Higher Fidelity" sample records recorded with this system to actively promote it- then, for whatever reason, they just fizzled out about the time the "VE" stampings were discontinued in the runout. This happened about the same time that Victor finally deleted their "Program Transcription" LPs from their catalogs as well, so maybe the "mini Depression" of 1937 had something to do with it.
Attachments
IMG_0847.JPG
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek