Victor VI crank

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zenger
Victor I

Victor VI crank

Post by Zenger »

Greetings. The crank for my Victor VI has a crack emanating from one of the slots; I'm not sure how long it's been there, though I suspect it was already present when I found the machine years ago. I discovered it recently when I inspected it after the crank slipped out of the machine a couple of times when I was winding it. I don't know if the crack had anything to do with it, but I have been more mindful while cranking it since and it hasn't happened again. However, I am concerned that the crack could grow and eventually render the crank unusable. Is there anything I can do to reinforce that area to prevent the crack from spreading further?

Thanks!
Attachments
20210222_195452 - Copy.jpg
20210222_195452 - Copy - Copy.jpg
20210222_195452 - Copy - Copy.jpg (121.31 KiB) Viewed 898 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victor VI crank

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hello,

I have a Victor III crank like that and replaced with a new one from JAS Antiques on eBay. I suggest you do the same & have a plater do it in gold to match your machine. It is better to change out parts when they break than to risk damage--on mine it slipped off when my back was turned, unwinding the machine vigorously and throwing the crank out of the case--it took the escutcheon with it & I never found it so now I have a new one on there.

Dave
Victor II
Personal Text: Gramophonist

Post by Dave »

I had the same problem with my VI slotted crank. I filled the crack in with some JB Weld Steelstick which will reinforce the metal and prevent further separation.

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

Thanks, Dave! Would you mind posting some pictures of the slot area now that might show how you did it and what it looks like now?

Dave
Victor II
Personal Text: Gramophonist

Post by Dave »

Sure... here's a pic after i made the repair. The tear was not a great as what you have, but almost. You can barely see it now.
Attachments
IMG_0099.JPG

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

Looks great! Are you confident it's stable?

A friend recommended brazing. Has anyone tried that?

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I think if you could some JB weld in that crack then clamp it together it could work. I may be a good idea as above to look for a new reproduction and save the old one as an original. Tom

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Maybe instead of a reproduction buy an early XVI gold crank with the same distance from the wood knob to the turn. Take it to a machinist, have it cut to the correct length and have slot cut.

I think I'd repair the original as mentioned in prior posts, inspect it occasionally, and then cut down a similar Victrola crank if needed. I might even do both and keep the original inside the cabinet.

Jerry B.