Tournaphone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Tournaphone

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, Just bought a "Baby Tournaphone". Can't find anything about the company online. Brian Jewell's book "Veteran Talking Machines" just refers t it being a German Company and dates the Baby to 1906. Anyone have any more info about them ? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8195.JPG
IMG_8194.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Tournaphone

Post by Inigo »

It seems the first Gramófono I ever had... It was self made, in a similar fashion, but using a small cardboard horn. My base was the old family record player, whose case was made of wood. I attached a horn support to the case edge et voilà!!
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Tournaphone was one of several brand names applied to gramophones supplied by The J.G. Murdoch Company of 59-61 Clerkenwell Road, London E.C.1, one of the largest firms in the trade. Other Murdoch brands included Beltona and Excelsior.

Some surviving Tournaphones have been identified as German imports made by Symphonion of Leipzig.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

My belief is that Tournaphone is a Thorens product?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 pm My belief is that Tournaphone is a Thorens product?
I agree. It looks like a rebadged Bijou model variation.
Well not really rebadged because Thorens rarely put their own name on machines.

If I remember correctly, years ago someone posted a thread here on the forum, asking to identify theirs, and I'm pretty sure it too was a key through the turntable wind Bijou.
Perhaps the motor carries the Thorens name or anchor trademark?

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Based on its condition, it must have been neatly stashed away. It has to be rather rare. Congratulations on your exquisite find!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Using the search function, it seems the machine I was thinking about was actually a side key wind Bijou.

I did find a top key wind in another thread showing the machine pictured below.
It however has a different style crane/travelling arm.
I've attempted to copy the link to the thread where these pictures appear, so I hope it works. There are more pictures and manufacturer info too
viewtopic.php?t=34934

Perhaps if gramtastic could remove the cabinets base board and could post a picture of the motor, it might help identify the manufacturer?
The cabinet dimensions may too.

I'm still leaning heavily towards Thorens
Attachments
7EAA3159-8FD9-4D25-873A-53110CDCA1E7.jpeg
7EAA3159-8FD9-4D25-873A-53110CDCA1E7.jpeg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
8BB56F12-2628-4AE2-8448-BED72BAD96CE.jpeg
8BB56F12-2628-4AE2-8448-BED72BAD96CE.jpeg (70.56 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks for all the information. I thought it looked like a Thorens item and attach a picture of it next to my Thorens Helvetia. The case is the same size and has the same wood grained finish. The Thorens is a much more substantial machine though, with a heavy cast horn support and a good solid winding handle. The horns and elbows are different. The way the horn support attaches to the horn is the same though. So.... some similarities and some differences. The motor in the Tournaphone is tiny and more like a small clock mechanism (it has no markings at all) while from memory, the Thorens one is more substantial... Does this help or confuse the issue further ?? (I can remove the bases and photograph the motors if it helps)
Attachments
IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8201.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I suppose without motor pictures it's impossible to say if they'll help or not in identifying a maker.
Even if they don't help, at least they'll be here for future reference