eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms MAKES THE NEWS !

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
soundgen
Victor V

eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms MAKES THE NEWS !

Post by soundgen »

eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms MAKES THE NEWS ! AT LAST ! :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57318294

Victor VI

Re: eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms MAKES THE NEWS !

Post by 52089 »

I was forced to make the switch in May. I didn't have a huge problem with giving them bank details since I had an account more-or-less specifically for PayPal that I could then also use for eBay. I was happy that eBay only asked for the last 4 digits of my Social Security number as I try very hard to protect that due to the potential for fraud. The one thing that greatly displeased me was a request for my physical address. For privacy and security reasons, I have a PO box that I use for nearly everything. I gave eBay the address of the PO as my address and gave them my box number as an apartment number. It worked - for now.

My first payout was made today for 1 item sold at the end of last week. It should get to my account tomorrow. I looked at my transactions and they have charged their final value fee not just on the item amount and shipping, but the sales tax too, which is grossly unfair since that's just a pass through. For one item, it's just 16 extra cents, but over time, that's going to add up. My net payment on a $12.99 sale is just $6.79 after fees and shipping charges. It's becoming not worth it to sell anything for less than $20!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

52089 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:51 am I looked at my transactions and they have charged their final value fee not just on the item amount and shipping, but the sales tax too, which is grossly unfair since that's just a pass through. It's becoming not worth it to sell anything for less than $20!
Not unlike live auctions, that calculate the buyer's premium after the tax is figured in. (Unless you have a tax number of course.)

In my experience, it has never been worth selling anything under $20... But, I still do, since the other alternative is usually to throw it away. Who can do that??? :roll:

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

This right here is why folks should just set up a store on their website to sell their items without using eBay as a middle man. I did it through PayPal on my site and it was so easy. Paypal charges a transaction fee but there is no listing fee, no extra tax, no nothing. I charge $15 for CDs with free shipping and with the fees and shipping accounted for I still make $10-$11 per CD. I really wish folks would stop making eBay the place to go. We are a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE! With a little advertising here and with CLEAR pricing that isn't gouging (trying to make up for all the eBay fees) I think we'd all be a LOT happier...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It may be worth while setting up a website if you are a business seller, but will it attract worldwide attention like eBay?

As an occasional private seller I did not trust eBay with my main bank details, so I simply opened a separate account to receive the sale proceeds. When the balance builds up I will withdraw money in cash, so that it cannot be linked to any of my other accounts.

So far the new system is working well, and by taking advantage of eBay's regular offers such as "Maximum £1 selling fees" the cost can be minimised. eBay is far from perfect, but it is still considerably cheaper than conventional auctioneer's fees.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

What i haven't sold prior to June will now go to landfill. Life is too short to mess around with cheap items that most people don't want.

Its funny how none of us appear to trust ebay with our bank information!

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:48 pm It may be worth while setting up a website if you are a business seller, but will it attract worldwide attention like eBay?
But that's what I'm saying. When we need a part we type it into Google. I looked up Exhibition Reproducer Back Flange and the first site that came up was a lone seller. Then followed Amazon, then followed eBay. Oddly enough the lone seller had them listed for more than they go for on eBay so I guess so much for the middle man. Anyway, just a thought.

A lot of folks already have a webpage, it's simple to create a store linked to your PayPal account and only takes up one more .html page. I typed in the name of my band and the word CDs and my store page came up at the top. I have to imagine that if someone were searching for reproducer springs and you had them listed correctly you would jump to the top of the search as well!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:55 pm
Its funny how none of us appear to trust ebay with our bank information!
I think, for the most part, we all trust eBay with bank information. It's the folks who might hack eBay that we don't trust. :o If I were smart enough, (and evil enough :twisted: ), to be a hacker, I would think that eBay would be fruit, ripe for the picking!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

All the more reason to post items in the Yankee Trader section on this Forum or on the APS site!!!!!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Phono-Phan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:43 pm All the more reason to post items in the Yankee Trader section on this Forum or on the APS site!!!!!
^^^this!

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.