Poorly presented Ebay listings

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Ahmed
Victor I

Re: Poorly presented Ebay listings

Post by Ahmed »

gramophone-georg wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:23 am
Am I the only one that's noticed that "clueless" means "overpriced"?
The ones I really admire are the sellers that state upfront that they know NOTHING about what they are selling (aside from the fact that it's EASILY worth the $10,000 asking price)...

Yep, and same sellers would take any attempts at saying "it ain't worth that much" as you being an awful human being who's trying to rob them of their treasure and the prospect of early retirement having sold their treasured Decca portable for £15k...

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

gramophone-georg wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:23 am Am I the only one that's noticed that "clueless" means "overpriced"?
The ones I really admire are the sellers that state upfront that they know NOTHING about what they are selling (aside from the fact that it's EASILY worth the $10,000 asking price)...
Oh, and don't forget that they "have no way of testing this, so sold as is." :roll:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

But it comes with plenty of spare needles: those rusty used ones which nobody apparently knows how to contain! I've bought a few portables by post and invariably I have to spend the first hour after unboxing, vacuuming out all the old needles which have been strewn everywhere that some clot has left in an open needle bowl! :roll: Of course loose needles won't move in transit!

I have a policy now of asking sellers to dispose of all needles before packing the gramophone. Some have questioned this but I persist by stating that they do more harm than good and invariably are used and worthless anyway.

If they want them for posterity they can keep them and reduce the price of the machine!

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Harry Lauder aside, my response to the original post is, many sellers on eBay want to make as much as possible (of course) with as little effort as possible. Taking photos is an effort, uploading them is an effort, describing the item is an effort, packing and shipping the item are efforts, and so forth. Also answering questions. One US member of this forum related how, after he had purchased an item, he asked a second question with regards to packing a horn. Perfectly in his right. That, however, was one too many questions. The seller now thought he had a troublesome customer and threatened to stop the transaction. And so I think for many eBay sellers--certainly not all--the mantra is, "Give me your money. Anything more is too much."

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

jboger wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 am Harry Lauder aside, my response to the original post is, many sellers on eBay want to make as much as possible (of course) with as little effort as possible. Taking photos is an effort, uploading them is an effort, describing the item is an effort, packing and shipping the item are efforts, and so forth. Also answering questions. One US member of this forum related how, after he had purchased an item, he asked a second question with regards to packing a horn. Perfectly in his right. That, however, was one too many questions. The seller now thought he had a troublesome customer and threatened to stop the transaction. And so I think for many eBay sellers--certainly not all--the mantra is, "Give me your money. Anything more is too much."
This is all very true but please don't underestimate plain old rank stupidity. It needs to be given its fair share of credit here with a lot of Ebay sellers.

I'm convinced some people are so utterly clueless that they'll stun you with their complete lack of common sense. I've received dismembered portable machines because the seller can't understand the components are designed to be stowed away in transit within the case. Do they not see the carrying handle as a clue when their description states the thing is "portable". These same sellers think needles left loose won't fall out their receptacles.

A soundbox taped to the outside of a box anyone? A soundbox-less tonearm is a complete and working item? One of my favourites was a seller who removed all parts from a heavy duty colonial portable and sent them via post separately including the soundbox which was "protected" by a plastic bag inside a Cornflakes box. It arrived crushed and several parts of a £2000 machine never arrived at all. The outer case? What case? The seller completely forgot to ship that one!

Recently I received a stunning Apollo cabinet machine in Art Deco design. Luckily the Shiply guys were really careful transporting it as for some reason I can't explain the seller lifted the turntable off and simply laid it loose on the motorboard without anything around it to cushion the unmarked walnut from a heavy steel Frisbee bouncing around loose inside it. I know it didn't come loose either as I'd requested that it be removed and packed individually with other "potentially loose" parts inside a strong box to go with the cabinet.

Maybe if it was a portable, hey?! :roll:

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Sometimes it's a great help..... a few years ago I saw this advertised on Ebay "Bass gramohone horn in case - buy it now £50". The photos were atrocious, dark and out of focus. I assumed it was a crapophone horn at first but because of the case, thought it was worth a gamble. I bought it and waited for it to turn up.... When it did, it was a totally original Columbia threaded brass horn in perfect condition in an original fitted case ! The case itself is fascinating as it is lined with photos of the Oxford university cricket team of 1911 - I can only assume it was made to order for someone in the team so he could throw his gramophone into the back of the Lagonda and head down to Oxford - all very Brideshead re-visited......... I am sure the bad description meant most collectors missed it !
Attachments
102_7611.JPG
102_7612.JPG
102_7604.JPG

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

There used to be a number of vintage gramophones listed on ebay by a British seller who always provided out of focus or cut-off views of his machines. I'm sure some of you remember those. They were classic! :monkey:
Best regards ... AZ*

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Yes , I remember those ! Usually items balanced on a worn out office chair .......

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

The infamous blue chair. I miss that chair!

I did once jokingly offer £300 for it but was met with a strange stare. I left quickly.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here is a classic example, described as for "spares or repair" and also as in "excellent condition" :? .
Both statements cannot be true, and what is actually on offer is a tired partially dismantled machine with parts missing.
The price of £275 :shock: is ludicrous, so don't all rush at once :lol: :lol: :lol: .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304097252305 ... =3000%7C10
Attachments
poor.jpg