FOR SALE: Zonophone Hornless LZO

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
neilmack
Victor II

FOR SALE: Zonophone Hornless LZO

Post by neilmack »

A Zonophone Hornless model (circa 1915) marked LZO on its paper label. Single spring motor, rather archaic style winding handle, metal door handles. Woodwork is in good condition, its golden oak with original finish. Motor works, but feels as if it could do with relubricating. Turntable felt is a replacement. Metalwork dulled, and some corrosion around the turntable itself. Correct (and uncommon) Zonophone Exhibition Junior Soundbox. Asking £85. It's quite compact so it could be posted at cost.

I'm in the UK.

Thanks for looking.
DSC_1768 zono.jpg
DSC_1772 zono.jpg
DSC_1774 zono.jpg
DSC_1779 zono.jpg
DSC_1763 zono.jpg
Zonophone LZO Hornless 017.JPG
Zonophone LZO Hornless 003.JPG
Last edited by neilmack on Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Zonophone Hornless LZO

Post by Inigo »

Very beautiful and charming, well preserved and showing its age... I'm tempted, but shipping costs to Spain will double the price of the machine! If I only were there.. . :mrgreen:
Inigo

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Inigo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm Very beautiful and charming, well preserved and showing its age... I'm tempted, but shipping costs to Spain will double the price of the machine! If I only were there.. . :mrgreen:
Very beautiful and charming, well preserved and showing its age ......
you could almost be describing me. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: FOR SALE: Zonophone Hornless LZO

Post by kirtley2012 »

I’ve never had a hornless machine, I really, really shouldn’t be spending money right now though, that’s a lovely looking machine, best of luck with it.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

kirtley2012 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:19 pm I’ve never had a hornless machine, I really, really shouldn’t be spending money right now though, that’s a lovely looking machine, best of luck with it.
Resistance is futile.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It looks similar to my early Victrola IV...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

neilmack wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:05 pm
Inigo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm Very beautiful and charming, well preserved and showing its age... I'm tempted, but shipping costs to Spain will double the price of the machine! If I only were there.. . :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

neilmack wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:05 pm
:D :D :D
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

kirtley2012 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:19 pm I’ve never had a hornless machine, I really, really shouldn’t be spending money right now though, that’s a lovely looking machine, best of luck with it.
I already have a similar hmv model, but more simple (in my avatar) , with the one piece L tonearm, simpler doors and no grill. You see the motor in the middle of the horn. It has the one spring motor, very simple but powerful enough. Mine has an issue with worn out governor bearings that I need to fix... I'm on it, waiting for the arrival of the right governor, and together with another parts motor I bought earlier from colleague Mike Child (soundgen) I'll see if I can finally solve this issue. I'm currently using it with a later governor, but the written bearings make it loose and vibrations and noise comes out sometimes. But it plays wonderfully. Watch it playing at https://youtu.be/nMbD2_OMc_s
I also broke the balance springs of the exhibition junior soundbox, and substituted them by two J wire springs pressing on the needlebar plate in the style of the two-spring Expert (or emg?) soundbox.
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

This looks like a Zonophone branded HMV hornless Model 1 in good condition. Would look great next to my Model 1a :) If you were in the US I would be very tempted. Good luck with the sale.

Andreas