A PayPal Saga

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: A PayPal Saga

Post by Raphael »

All well and good, and I have no issue with your approach as it suits you. But other sellers such as myself have worldwide sales and must keep every avenue of convenience there for our customers. In over 40 years of being in business, customer accommodation is my #1 sales technique.

My purpose in maintaining this thread is to alert interested Forum members of current PayPal methods.

Raphael

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

UPDATE:

I sold something on eBay over the weekend. They then advised me that although payment ($6,250) was made, eBay would not release the funds to me until after the item was successfully received by my customer (in Australia), potentially a 2-3 week delay.

This change in policy, effectively an escrow, was done without prior notification to me. I spent most of yesterday on the phone (mostly on holds) with them, and although speaking to 3 “Managed Payments” reps and a supervisor, got nowhere. They could, or would, not explain why, after 22+ years, they would treat me like a seller who joined yesterday.

I canceled the rest of my 46 listings and will wait to see what happens to my account. Fortunately, eBay represents a small part of my business, and it’s summertime anyway, but WTF???

Raphael

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Unfortunately, they must have sided with the previous buyer who tried to screw you, then decided to do it to you themselves...

Start a "sales" website, like Grant did. You have one, but no prices are listed, so change that to allow customers to buy direct and only use eBay if you have to... You have a large following, so you don't need eBay and their BS.

See my post from the other day to see what eBay did to stir up WWII... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Curt A wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:11 pm Unfortunately, they must have sided with the previous buyer who tried to screw you, then decided to do it to you themselves...

Start a "sales" website, like Grant did. You have one, but no prices are listed, so change that to allow customers to buy direct and only use eBay if you have to... You have a large following, so you don't need eBay and their BS.

See my post from the other day to see what eBay did to stir up WWII... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The previous buyer had nothing to do with eBay, it was a direct sale. But I suppose PayPal is feeding information to them about the chargeback.

I don't want to have a direct sales website, for many reasons. What works for Grant won't necessarily work for me. Also, my eBay fixed-price listings, which cost virtually nothing, drive traffic to my site, so it's virtually free advertising.

Raphael

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

UPDATE:

After the submission of answers to two rounds of numerous and intrusive questions, and a number of calls to PayPal, they released my account and returned it to as-before status. However, the $5500 chargeback issue is still not settled and they say it could take up to 90 days to resolve. I will continue to use the account on a limited basis as their arbitrary actions have caused me to activate go-around solutions. My #1 customer continues to have his account locked down, and has pointed his middle finger their way.

As for eBay, they have told me all sales proceeds will be escrowed (pending successful delivery) until further notice. I have a shipment to Australia that has now cleared customs and should be delivered in the next day or two, at which time is supposed to remit my $6k. On general principle, I don’t wish to be held up to standards such as they are imposing, after 22 years without issues, thus I have nothing of significant value currently listed with them.

Raphael

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

UPDATE:

After three months, the PayPal issue with my watch remains unresolved. The customer still has the watch and PayPal still has a case open in their “Resolution Center” and when a call, their answer always is “These things take time”. No kidding.

eBay seems to have satisfied itself and they are no longer putting my sales proceeds in escrow pending successful delivery.

Raphael

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Thank you Rafael for keeping up with this post. I've heard the expression, "buyer beware" many times, but it seems the seller has to be wary as well. I have bought and sold on ebay for years and never had to suffer like you have here. Keep up the good fight and don't let the bastards win :!:
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

UPDATE:

Finally, after almost four months, PayPal has closed the case - in my favor - and hopefully I am now done with this matter.

For the benefit of TMF members who might encounter this buyer, here are his details:

Alex Katiraie
10557 Rochester Ave
Los Angeles CA 90024

tel: 424-333-1123
email: alexkatiraie@gmail.com
eBay ID: kamyaralexanderkatiraie

"Sit venditor caveat"

Raphael

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Good news! I think we will all avoid Alex K from now on.
Best regards ... AZ*

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Attachments
c.JPG
c.JPG (32.02 KiB) Viewed 888 times