Removing Paint Flecks

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Removing Paint Flecks

Post by Jerry B. »

I clean cabinets with Goop or GoJo. For a light cleaning I apply the cleaner with a rag. But I frequently use 0000 steel wool that is soaked with cleaner. It seems like there are always a few paint specks on a finish. I clean one panel at a time, generally with soaked steel wool, and the cleaner softens the paint speck. I've found that if you disturb a paint speck and go over it again with soaked steel wool the speck is gone. I have a few dental tools that I disturb any specks. The lid for this Columbia AB was freckled with specks and now it looks terrific.

Jerry B.
Attachments
tempImageIjlemq.gif
tempImagei9XhAk.gif

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Removing Paint Flecks

Post by Inigo »

Those dental tools are a marvel. When I go to the dentist I always ask and comment on the drills and tools... While sitting in the torture chair, I always wonder what could I do to my gramophones and soundboxes with such fine tools... :D
They even have high quality precision screwdrivers and wrenches for the tiny screws and nuts of the implanted teeth.... :mrgreen:
Next time I go to the flea market I will visit the old dental tools stall...
Inigo

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

The Columbia AB does indeed look terrific now - well done.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Just ask your dentist for any surplus used or broken tools, and the odds are high that you will be given some!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Great idea, thanks. I'll ask next time, although maybe for any sanitary protocol, they cannot give them to me! My dentist is kind of organization depending on the university.... :?:
Inigo

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Not too long ago I bought a Herzog 710 cabinet that had paint drips on the front door :evil: and on one of the sides. These were paint drips not little dots of paint spatter. And they'd clearly been on the cabinet for many years.

I cannot believe why someone could be so flippant as to slobber paint onto an antique cabinet like this when it had to have been so easy to move it or cover it up. Anyway, after doing some searches online I found a product called 'Goof Off Paint Splatter Remover' and found a can at Home Depot yesterday. I decided what the heck...I'll be brave and try it out this morning on my Herzog cabinet and hope the stuff doesn't wreck the finish. The can has a slender flip up nozzle so you can direct a tiny bit of the stuff onto a selected paint drip, let it sit for a minute or two to loosen the paint and then with 0000 steel wool wipe it off. It worked FANTASTIC!! Some drips needed a couple of treatments but I worked on the cabinet for over 2 hours as there were at least 40 or more paint drips (!!) and every one was removed without damaging the original finish. Your results may vary if you try it but I'm sold on this stuff!

Doug
goof off paint splatter remover.jpg
goof off paint splatter remover.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

For what it's worth, I can tell you from experience that a lot of those small "paint flecks" are probably not paint. I have a lot of spiders in my apartment and most of my machines, over time, get some of these flecks as a result of the spiders', shall we say,
"leavings" of various types. I'm sure some machines do indeed have paint spots, but paint is not the only cause of these marks.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

FellowCollector wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:40 pm ...I cannot believe why someone could be so flippant as to slobber paint onto an antique cabinet like this when it had to have been so easy to move it or cover it up..
I agree. However, I think that a lot of the time it's low-paid painters who just want to get the job finished as fast as possible and get out of the place. I'm always noticing poor house painting, where painters could have spent a moment to remove a flaw (eg. piece of tape or blutak on the wall) but have just painted over it. And whenever I've spoken to tradies about longer-term consequences of their short-sighted actions, the standard reply is "it will be someone else's problem (when I'm not here)". I feel sad that we have developed into a society where many aren't willing to accept the consequences of their behaviour, even if it's something relatively minor in the world scheme of things like some paint splatter.