Why so glum?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Why so glum?

Post by Wolfe »

The guy looks like a bootlegger from 1920's Prohibition while the lass looks right proper from 1895. Photo style looks like it was taken in 1865.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

The wristwatch is not anachronism. Elgin and Waltham from 1882 made women's pendant watches which were adapted to wear on the wrist with the leather appliance which appears on her wrist. (I have a 15 jewel Elgin 0s watch mnufactured in 1889 fitted into a nickel wristwatch case dated about 1910).

I do not see a Victor scroll label.

The authenticity of the gramophone can be debated.

I do not see anything glaringly inconsistent within the photograph and the clothing is typical of early to mid 1910's. However the framing of the image is peculiar for the period.

tim w
Victor Jr

Post by tim w »

Even though it’s a poor scan, examination of the details suggest a vintage photo. The tones seem right. I don’t think throwing on a costume would include changing shoes, putting on a high collar, and many of the other accessories. The woman looks properly dressed and turned out for the occasion of a photograph. The expression was the convention for photos of the time. They didn’t feel the need for ‘grinning like idiots’ like people are compelled to do now.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The record label is a puzzler. Zoom in enough before it gets too pixelated and I can make out what looks a "C" at the start.

tim w
Victor Jr

Post by tim w »

Maybe the one with the original can examine it with a loupe to magnify the label. The design might become more familiar.

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

And doesn't it look like they are outside the building?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Oh, is this where the image came from ?

Maybe it was mentioned earlier ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353698100982 ... _Auction=1

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

The digital watch does look authentic for 1910

tim w
Victor Jr

Post by tim w »

Detective work can be fun. What makes it a digital watch ? I’ve seen plenty of American pics with people & their phonos outside, why not England ? Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

tim w wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:10 am Detective work can be fun. What makes it a digital watch ? I’ve seen plenty of American pics with people & their phonos outside, why not England ? Sorry to beat a dead horse.
sorry, it was supposed to be funny as we all know digital watches were not available in 1910.