FOUND: Winding pawl for Edison B19

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

FOUND: Winding pawl for Edison B19

Post by AmberolaAndy »

So I’m in the process of restoring my recently bought Edison B-19 and my crank will not say still when winding it due to the pawl being bad. So I’m looking for a replacement pawl for a one spring motor Diamond disc machine. Thanks! 👍
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarlH
Victor III

Re: WANTED: Winding pawl for Edison B19

Post by EarlH »

It's usually the spring that goes up through the hole that is broken on those that keeps it from engaging. If it's broken off towards the end, you can pull enough of the spring up to get it to go through the opening and work again. If nothing else, I probably have one from a two spring motor and you can swap the parts around from one of those. I'd have to do some looking though, and I might not get to it until this weekend.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

EarlH wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:28 pm It's usually the spring that goes up through the hole that is broken on those that keeps it from engaging. If it's broken off towards the end, you can pull enough of the spring up to get it to go through the opening and work again. If nothing else, I probably have one from a two spring motor and you can swap the parts around from one of those. I'd have to do some looking though, and I might not get to it until this weekend.
Gotcha! I hope the 2 spring one fits. Thankfully you’re the member that probably lives the closest to me!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:58 pm
EarlH wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:28 pm It's usually the spring that goes up through the hole that is broken on those that keeps it from engaging. If it's broken off towards the end, you can pull enough of the spring up to get it to go through the opening and work again. If nothing else, I probably have one from a two spring motor and you can swap the parts around from one of those. I'd have to do some looking though, and I might not get to it until this weekend.
Gotcha! I hope the 2 spring one fits. Thankfully you’re the member that probably lives the closest to me!
It won't fit by itself; it will be way too short. However, you should be able to take the ratchet spring off one and use it on the other. It's way easier to just swap out the whole assembly.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

I would suggest contacting Mark Gaisser (croakin' frog). He generally has a good inventory and it's definitely much easier to replace the entire assembly. Shouldn't be too costly as well.

Steve

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

ChesterCheetah18 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:05 pm
I would suggest contacting Mark Gaisser (croakin' frog). He generally has a good inventory and it's definitely much easier to replace the entire assembly. Shouldn't be too costly as well.

Steve
If Earl H cannot find one I’ll consider it. Thanks.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I found out how the works come out of the cabinet and I tried myself. Now I’m more confident than ever to work on Diamond disc machines! I just need the part!

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Does this look like the part you need? It does work, I took it off a working motor tonight, but I have no use for it. The spring on the winding pawl is good and it turns smoothly, but could stand oiling. I just washed it off some with a little bit of lye and if you are going through the whole thing, it could stand a coat of paint as you can see... Anyway, let me know what you think. Regards, Earl.
Attachments
DSC01700.JPG

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

EarlH wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:32 pm Does this look like the part you need? It does work, I took it off a working motor tonight, but I have no use for it. The spring on the winding pawl is good and it turns smoothly, but could stand oiling. I just washed it off some with a little bit of lye and if you are going through the whole thing, it could stand a coat of paint as you can see... Anyway, let me know what you think. Regards, Earl.
Why yes it is sir! That’s what I need.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: FOUND: Winding pawl for Edison B19

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Shout out to Earl H! My winding woes are fixed!