Victor I

Re: Mind your fingers!

Post by toysbyroy »

So, what can I do about it?

Hoodoo
Victor O

Post by Hoodoo »

I had a pawl-not-catchung problem on a Victrola. On this particular motor the pawl actuating mechanism relies on a certain amount of friction on the shaft and the little coil spring had become too weak to do its job. I added an O-ring as a helper and it now works fine.
I am not familiar with Edison motors, but could your problem have a similar cause?

Hoodoo
Victor O

Post by Hoodoo »

Oops, forgot to add the picture!
Attachments
21958A77-7885-4B26-80C7-96CD4F6A8AAA.jpeg

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »

Well, I noticed that the pawl on my Edison Model B had an extended end (no doubt a design fix from the earlier Model A). So, I made my own extension by flattening a lead fishing weight and gluing it to the end of the pawl. VOILA! It worked!! :P

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hoodoo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:10 pm I had a pawl-not-catchung problem on a Victrola. On this particular motor the pawl actuating mechanism relies on a certain amount of friction on the shaft and the little coil spring had become too weak to do its job. I added an O-ring as a helper and it now works fine.
I am not familiar with Edison motors, but could your problem have a similar cause?
These are the kinds of pawls that you definitely don't want to oil!

Hoodoo
Victor O

Post by Hoodoo »

Haha, yes, good point. The next time I have a look at that motor I will make sure those parts are well de-lubed. I might not need the booster o-ring at all.