Needles and nails

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Angus555+
Victor Jr

Needles and nails

Post by Angus555+ »

Just curious about needles. I’ve just been sharpening but more so taking the rust off old needles . I was wondering can one use small nails for needles or are needles made from a special metal …and also I have a HMV 102 phonograph can I use soft and loud needles on shellac records

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Needles and nails

Post by Lucius1958 »

New needles are available quite cheaply. Throw the old ones out, and don't even bother with nails.

- Bill

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Lucius1958 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 pm New needles are available quite cheaply. Throw the old ones out, and don't even bother with nails.

- Bill
Agreed! There's no need to reinvent the wheel.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

leels1
Victor Jr

Post by leels1 »

Don’t think nails are a good idea!

With a HMV 102 you can use what you like, but the thicker (louder the tone) the more damage to the records.

I have several 102s and always use extra soft or soft tone needles for earlier records that are quieter.

Angus555+
Victor Jr

Post by Angus555+ »

leels1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:05 am Don’t think nails are a good idea!

With a HMV 102 you can use what you like, but the thicker (louder the tone) the more damage to the records.

I have several 102s and always use extra soft or soft tone needles for earlier records that are quieter.
Thanks I’ll sure take that advice seriously 8-) :shock:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch

Post by JerryVan »

Please, use only new needles. Use the needle for only one play, then throw it away.

(Nails are for pounding into wood. They will destroy records.)

Angus555+
Victor Jr

Post by Angus555+ »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm Please, use only new needles. Use the needle for only one play, then throw it away.

(Nails are for pounding into wood. They will destroy records.)
Yes I have been thanks for your input but I was thinking about very fine tacks anyway I will try to find some new ones somewhere while trying to get some jazz records I mean i only have a couple atm and in the land down under it’s hard to find things.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

As I understand it, gramophone needles were (and still are) cut, profiled (shaped), hardened, then tumble-polished. I think it would be extremely difficult to replicate the latter three processes on a D-I-Y basis...
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor V
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In Australia and NZ there are strong gramophone fans groups, you should be able to locate a needle supplier near you...
Inigo