Meltdown of TMF attachments ?

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Meltdown of TMF attachments ?

Post by Inigo »

Thanks, Mordeth, and we give you our condolences.
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

The current problems with attachments disappearing beg another question. In the example I quoted earlier in this thread, all of the "attachments" (mainly photographs) have disappeared BUT, on page 3, photographs have remained. I should be most grateful to know exactly the reason for this as maybe we should all be using this alternative method in future ? For the past decade or so I have been using this forum's own system (see below) which has, until now, been excellent.

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

I think the problem relates to how long ago the files were attached rather than a method of attachment.
If its less than a year ago the attachment is OK.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Ah ! Well spotted and thank you ! Hopefully this may mean that an easily operated setting/switch will be able to recover the desired state of affairs (please excuse my lack of IT knowledge)...............fingers firmly crossed.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

If you click on the attachments it says they don't exist anymore :cry:
Attachments
dna.JPG

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

soundgen wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:06 pm If you click on the attachments it says they don't exist anymore :cry:
From the server—a listing of all files, counted for items:
[forum.talkingmachine.info/files]$ ls -alh | wc -l
There are 28,134 files (from attachments) in that directory. Ignore what it says about them not existing. Unless something comes up, I’m planning on picking an evening/morning to upgrade the board (as hopefully that may fix the problem); if that isn’t the solution, I will look into it further.

Let me worry about this issue, lamenting about it negatively impacts my motivation. If you want to help, donations to offset my time are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you David---greatly appreciate your efforts. Let's hope fixing it will not be too onerous. Best wishes, Graham.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

MordEth wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:20 am Considering the board still has 35 GB of attachments in the /files/ directory, I really doubt that anything is lost.

Dreamhost was dumb enough to give us unlimited file storage, so it is not a quota issue.

Currently, I am under the gun with a work deadline, and I just lost a cousin so I have not been on the TMF much this month. I will look into the attachment issue ASAP, but most likely it will be Monday or later next week before I can devote any time to it. Please don’t panic in the meantime.

Regards,

David
Hi David, any word on the images that are no longer visible?

Best regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

fran604g wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:17 am Hi David, any word on the images that are no longer visible?
Fran,

I’m still wrapping up a deadline for the beginning of July—as soon as that is done, I plan to take the board down briefly to update it to the latest version of phpBB (which hopefully will fix the problem). Otherwise I’ll troubleshoot it from there.

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

MordEth wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:54 pm
fran604g wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:17 am Hi David, any word on the images that are no longer visible?
Fran,

I’m still wrapping up a deadline for the beginning of July—as soon as that is done, I plan to take the board down briefly to update it to the latest version of phpBB (which hopefully will fix the problem). Otherwise I’ll troubleshoot it from there.

Regards,

David
Thank you sir.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.