Removing an Edison Model C Reproducer

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Morell1
Victor O

Removing an Edison Model C Reproducer

Post by Morell1 »

I have an early Edison suitcase Home fitted with a winged Model C reproducer, and I can't figure out how to remove the reproducer. I thought I merely had to move the retaining clips out of the way and then remove it. There doesn't seem to be any set screw holding the reproducer in place. I don't want to force it, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Removing an Edison Model C Reproducer

Post by Jerry B. »

I can't imagine a winged C reproducer being made of pot metal so it should come out fairly easily. I would:

1 - Remove the carriage with the reproducer.
2 - Open up the retaining clips or remove them from the carriage.
3 - At this point you may want to put the carriage in the freezer overnight. Many people swear by this but I've never done this.
4 - With something soft, like a folded bath towel underneath, turn the carriage upside down and tap out the reproducer. I'd use a very light hammer and a short length of wood (maybe a golf tee cut off at the pointy end) and gently tap. I'd start in the twelve o'clock position give a few taps and move around the clock. It will come out. It might help to have a second set of hands to hold the carriage and catch the reproducer as it comes out.
5- Please report back.

Anyone else have suggestions. I may be seventy but I'm not tooooooo old to learn. :)

Jerry Blais

Morell1
Victor O

Post by Morell1 »

Thank you, Jerry!

I'll give that a try. I was worried that there was some hidden screw, ledge, or fastener that would snap or bend if I tried to force it. The cautious method you suggest makes perfect sense. I'll give that a shot and report back.

I'm guessing I need to rebuild the reproducer, but I wanted to take a closer look first

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I would suggest a few drops of good penetrating oil around the perimeter of the reproducer as well. Good luck - -

George P.

Morell1
Victor O

Post by Morell1 »

Thank you, George. I will try that as well.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Try heating the carriage with a hair dryer. Works good on stuck caps on telephone handsets.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Any luck yet?