Triumph problem #2 tracking.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Triumph problem #2 tracking.

Post by AmberolaAndy »

JerryVan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:26 pm Use a very good screwdriver, with a blade that properly fits the screw slot.
I think that’s my other problem. I don’t seem to have any good screwdrivers. I used to have a few craftsman screwdrivers but they disappeared somewhere over a year ago. Now I’m stuck with Walmart drivers SMH.

BUT I did get the brass brushes for cleaning out feed screws!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Welp, nobody else was biting so I pulled the trigger on the halfnut/bar/pressure plate on the one Croakin Frog had. I was able to get them to knock $15 off hopefully this will fix my tracking woes like they fixed my On/off switch woes.
Attachments
B498327C-E5CD-4884-ADE6-F2C7E294B89F.png

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

I have a "procedure" I like to use for adjusting the half-nuts I'll share with you, read thru it and proceed with caution, as you can easily damage these delicate parts. The feedscrew and half nut should be in good shape with no pitting or scratches before you start.
1. start with your machine having the reproducer carriage and the tube that slides on the carriage rod assembled no the machine without the feed nut spring and guard. the carriage assembly should slide back and forth very easily when lowered into playback position. If it does not slide back and forth easily, fix this first.
2. You need to be careful doing this step. Loosen the clamp screw that secures the carriage to the tube. Loosen this crew several turns. Use a small, thin screwdriver and put it in the slot in the carriage above the tube and push it in until the tube turns easily inside the carriage. Use extreme care doing this, push the screw driver into the slot only enough that the tube will rotate without much effort. The screw driver you use should also stay in the slot on its own once you have it where the tube turns.
3. Have your half nut and spring assembled together. Put a drop of oil on the center of the feedscrew and then place the half nut on the feed screw over the oil drop and make sure the nut is seated on the screw. Have the end of the spring that attaches to the carriage tube pointing up about 45 degrees. Use the thumb and first finger of the left hand to hold the half nut/spring assembly to the feedscrew together for the next few steps.
4. slide the carriage over and rotate the feedscrew down so that the screw holes in the spring and tube line up. Rotate the tube as you line up the holes so that the flat surface where the spring mounts is flat with the spring. Put the feed screw guard on if you have one, but have the adjusting screw in the guard backed out so it is won't touch the spring.
5. Tighten up the two screws that hold the spring and guard to the tube. Once they are tight, you can release your death grip holding the half nut to the feed screw.
6. With the carriage down in playing position, and the feed nut still on the feed screw, remove the screw driver from the slot so the carriage will clamp down onto the tube again. Tighten the camp screw.
7. Raise the carriage so the half nut raises off the feedscrew. Turn the adjusting screw down until it just touches the spring, and no more.
8. Without a record, operate the machine in playing position in 2-minute mode and watch and listen for skipping from the half-nut. You may need to adjust the screw in the guard a little. Just a tiny fraction of a turn makes a big change in feed screw tension.
9. If the carriage moves from left to right without skipping, try playing a record and listen for dragging or slowing down. The half nut needs to push down of the feedscrew only enough to propel the carriage and no more. It will drag the machine down if it is too much.

I hope this helps you out!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wes K wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:44 pm I have a "procedure" I like to use for adjusting the half-nuts I'll share with you, read thru it and proceed with caution, as you can easily damage these delicate parts. The feedscrew and half nut should be in good shape with no pitting or scratches before you start.
1. start with your machine having the reproducer carriage and the tube that slides on the carriage rod assembled no the machine without the feed nut spring and guard. the carriage assembly should slide back and forth very easily when lowered into playback position. If it does not slide back and forth easily, fix this first.
2. You need to be careful doing this step. Loosen the clamp screw that secures the carriage to the tube. Loosen this crew several turns. Use a small, thin screwdriver and put it in the slot in the carriage above the tube and push it in until the tube turns easily inside the carriage. Use extreme care doing this, push the screw driver into the slot only enough that the tube will rotate without much effort. The screw driver you use should also stay in the slot on its own once you have it where the tube turns.
3. Have your half nut and spring assembled together. Put a drop of oil on the center of the feedscrew and then place the half nut on the feed screw over the oil drop and make sure the nut is seated on the screw. Have the end of the spring that attaches to the carriage tube pointing up about 45 degrees. Use the thumb and first finger of the left hand to hold the half nut/spring assembly to the feedscrew together for the next few steps.
4. slide the carriage over and rotate the feedscrew down so that the screw holes in the spring and tube line up. Rotate the tube as you line up the holes so that the flat surface where the spring mounts is flat with the spring. Put the feed screw guard on if you have one, but have the adjusting screw in the guard backed out so it is won't touch the spring.
5. Tighten up the two screws that hold the spring and guard to the tube. Once they are tight, you can release your death grip holding the half nut to the feed screw.
6. With the carriage down in playing position, and the feed nut still on the feed screw, remove the screw driver from the slot so the carriage will clamp down onto the tube again. Tighten the camp screw.
7. Raise the carriage so the half nut raises off the feedscrew. Turn the adjusting screw down until it just touches the spring, and no more.
8. Without a record, operate the machine in playing position in 2-minute mode and watch and listen for skipping from the half-nut. You may need to adjust the screw in the guard a little. Just a tiny fraction of a turn makes a big change in feed screw tension.
9. If the carriage moves from left to right without skipping, try playing a record and listen for dragging or slowing down. The half nut needs to push down of the feedscrew only enough to propel the carriage and no more. It will drag the machine down if it is too much.

I hope this helps you out!
Thanks OKBridges! I’ll look at your instructions when I get the new part!

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I posted a procedure some time ago how to properly set the feed nut. I do not see it in this thread so here is the important missing element.

You must ensue the threads line up accurately. Most of the skipping can be attributed to the threads not lining up and as a result the feed nuts are wrongly condemned.

To line the threads up when the spring and nut is in place, loosen slightly the two screws attaching the feed nut spring to the carriage. With the reproducer carriage fully descended, apply with your finger a light pressure downward pressing the feed nut to the thread. You may have to wiggle slightly the carriage until you feel the threads snap firmly into engagement. Then, with your finger still lightly on top of the feed nut pressing down, tighten the two screws.

This I have found this fixes 90% of the skipping problem attributed to a bad nut. There is a lot of slop in the spring attachment screws and simply attaching the spring without doing this important alignment step will be a hit and miss affair. Many will try to increase the spring pressure of the feed nut against the feed screw which may work but will accentuate premature feed nut wear.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Governor Flyball wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 am I posted a procedure some time ago how to properly set the feed nut. I do not see it in this thread so here is the important missing element.

You must ensue the threads line up accurately. Most of the skipping can be attributed to the threads not lining up and as a result the feed nuts are wrongly condemned.

To line the threads up when the spring and nut is in place, loosen slightly the two screws attaching the feed nut spring to the carriage. With the reproducer carriage fully descended, apply with your finger a light pressure downward pressing the feed nut to the thread. You may have to wiggle slightly the carriage until you feel the threads snap firmly into engagement. Then, with your finger still lightly on top of the feed nut pressing down, tighten the two screws.

This I have found this fixes 90% of the skipping problem attributed to a bad nut. There is a lot of slop in the spring attachment screws and simply attaching the spring without doing this important alignment step will be a hit and miss affair. Many will try to increase the spring pressure of the feed nut against the feed screw which may work but will accentuate premature feed nut wear.
This! Without positive seating of the half-nut to feedscrew threads, the rest is futile.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Oh! Here’s another part of this machine that could be contributing to my issue!

The screw that’s supposed to hold the 2/4 min switch is way too short it’s not even touching the back casting!

EDIT: I’ll just use my Home B screw as a temp fix.
Attachments
BBC4F971-14E2-4D5C-B412-D3DCCE619ECF.jpeg
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

fran604g wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:45 am
Governor Flyball wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 am I posted a procedure some time ago how to properly set the feed nut. I do not see it in this thread so here is the important missing element.

This! Without positive seating of the half-nut to feedscrew threads, the rest is futile.
I guess I might just be in the 10%. No matter how much it’s just “click click click click” and no advancement. Guess there’s nothing I can do except wait for my replacement piece. All my other machines even my Model B home (granted I was just learning how to do this at the time I first got it) has never fussed with the half nut and feedscrew me the way this one has.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I guess I might just be in the 10%. No matter how much it’s just “click click click click” and no advancement. Guess there’s nothing I can do except wait for my replacement piece. All my other machines even my Model B home (granted I was just learning how to do this at the time I first got it) has never fussed with the half nut and feedscrew me the way this one has.
Have you ensured the carriage when the nut is not engaged slides freely? Is the slide properly lubricated? (I use sewing machine oil).

Then have you tried the procedure I described to engage the nut to the feed screw properly?

Following the other suggestions and especially this, I am sure the click click click will go away!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Something else I noticed. If I put my thumb pressure on it I am able to get it to track. To me this proves that the tension plate alone alone can help me fix my tracking issue. I added a video to demonstrate.

https://youtu.be/RqglCQmiH9M
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.