Meltdown of TMF attachments ?

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Meltdown of TMF attachments ?

Post by Inigo »

Thanks, David.
And we should think about downloading a copy of the chat for safe, at least the most interesting threads, if it is possible... I would like to know how big is the database...
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:17 pm Thanks, David.
And we should think about downloading a copy of the chat for safe, at least the most interesting threads, if it is possible... I would like to know how big is the database...

Isn't 'the most interesting threads' a bit subjective ?

I think the threads I have created and contributed to are the most interesting.

What do you have in mind ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I suggest storing the informative threads... but it could be a nightmare to select which ones! I mean, getting rid of the threads for non-informative subjects... jokes and the like... Although in this forum these are very scarce, almost all threads contain valuable information. It would be a life's task to index ask that information, add key words for searching, etc. Maybe better to store all the contents in a way that allows searching by any word. It could be an enormous file!
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

MordEth wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:54 pm
I’m still wrapping up a deadline for the beginning of July—as soon as that is done, I plan to take the board down briefly to update it to the latest version of phpBB (which hopefully will fix the problem). Otherwise I’ll troubleshoot it from there.

Regards,

David
Any progress please David ?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Inigo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:32 pm I suggest storing the informative threads... but it could be a nightmare to select which ones! I mean, getting rid of the threads for non-informative subjects... jokes and the like... Although in this forum these are very scarce, almost all threads contain valuable information. It would be a life's task to index ask that information, add key words for searching, etc. Maybe better to store all the contents in a way that allows searching by any word. It could be an enormous file!
You can use Google to search the board for any word or words, even those that are "too small" to be indexed by the board itself The syntax is

site:forum.talkingmachine.info [search words]

for example:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info victor ix

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

52089 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 am
You can use Google to search the board for any word or words, even those that are "too small" to be indexed by the board itself The syntax is

site:forum.talkingmachine.info [search words]

for example:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info victor ix
Sadly Mr Google's ability in this field for very complicated posts is extremely limited. The main problem is with the missing photographic and PDF attachments which form unrepeatable information and absolutely need to be read together with the appropriate text to make any sense at all.

It is imperative that David is able to retrieve the lost information as soon as possible before the immense and priceless work of hundreds of contributors is lost forever.

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Hi
i have tried this morning to open attachments and still find the same message. Am I doing something wrong or is there still a problem needing help.
Regards Zapper

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

No, sadly there has been absolutely no response from the administrators for a very long time now. It appears we are completely on our own---very bad news indeed.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

emgcr wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:05 pm No, sadly there has been absolutely no response from the administrators for a very long time now. It appears we are completely on our own---very bad news indeed.
That's a really sad state of affairs, and one I fail to understand. Surely if it's a matter of lack of time to dedicate to the forum, it would be incredibly easy to say so and pass the admin credentials etc to someone else?

I do worry about what would happen if a more serious error was to come up, ceasing access to the forum or breaking it altogether, what would happen then?

Not good

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Ahmed wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:49 am
I do worry about what would happen if a more serious error was to come up, ceasing access to the forum or breaking it altogether, what would happen then?
Should the worst happen here, there is an alternative:

https://forum.antiquephono.org/

George P.