H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Post by Gramtastic »

I can now play my God save the King cylinder.....

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Still hard to believe she's gone.

I am not understanding the hardline stance some native peoples have against her, though. To be clear- I understand the Native grievances, and empathise with them. I just don't understand the focus on ER and the modern Monarchy when they have no involvement in politics or policy, and have not had for a very long time.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:51 pmI just don't understand the focus on ER and the modern Monarchy when they have no involvement in politics or policy, and have not had for a very long time.
For the very same reason, having been since the day I was born citizen of a republic, I don't understand the insurmountable sense of loss that many people, Americans included (!!!), feel for her.

I've always had sympathy for her, as a very serious lady, totally committed to her role. But aside from these private sentiments, she left all the worst things happen in politics and the most awful people be elected without ever even mentioning that she humbly disagreed and thought was not good for the country.

And all right - that's exactly what she was expected to do: take no position, don't say anything. I understand this very well, I know it since decades. But then, really: what's the point about her? What's the point of having a queen at all?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:54 am For the very same reason, having been since the day I was born citizen of a republic, I don't understand the insurmountable sense of loss that many people, Americans included (!!!), feel for her.

I've always had sympathy for her, as a very serious lady, totally committed to her role. But aside from these private sentiments, she left all the worst things happen in politics and the most awful people be elected without ever even mentioning that she humbly disagreed and thought was not good for the country.

And all right - that's exactly what she was expected to do: take no position, don't say anything. I understand this very well, I know it since decades. But then, really: what's the point about her? What's the point of having a queen at all?
For me, anyway, the sense of loss was personal because Queen Elizabeth and my mother, who passed away at the age of 90--five and a half years ago, shared the same birthday and year of birth. But it actually went beyond that. My brother referred to Queen Elizabeth as "our mother's doppelganger," because she also bore a very strong resemblance to the late queen, both when she was young and as she grew older.

I think other Americans feel a sense of loss because, not only was Queen Elizabeth a "household name," but a "household face," thanks to almost daily media coverage. In the United State, the so-called "Public Television" network (PBS) has broadcast countless documentaries about Queen Elizabeth over the decades, as well as the royal family. This is coupled with PBS's dependence on British (BBC) imports for most of their regular television broadcasts. There is certainly an "Anglophile" slant to the programing. This is only one source; there has been--and continues to be--a constant flow of stories surrounding the royal family from all major US news outlets.

As for the role the royal family plays, there are many opinions about this. I personally feel that, in addition to being goodwill ambassadors, they are the world's largest tourist attraction--kind of a living museum. (I mean, what's the point of touring Great Britain and having your picture taken in front of Buckingham Palace if no one lives there? Along that line, I'd hate to see it turned into condos, and the crown jewels put up for sale on eBay!)

OrthoFan

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Understanding and respecting the Monarchy is part of what it is to be British in my opinion. Outsiders might well never get that. So be it.

However tenuous some might think it is there is a real genuine sense of loss in Britain following the passing of HM QE II.

There's been 15 Prime Ministers coming and going to 1 Queen's reign. Most of the PMs have been quite poor and ineffective performers. Says it all really.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

For the benefit of those who ask "What's the point about her?" here are a few statistics :

Over one million people gathered in London to watch the funeral cortege in person.
About four thousand military personnel took part, including my son.
Over 37 million watched the event on TV in the UK alone, 28 million of them on the BBC.
An estimated FOUR BILLION watched on TV worldwide.

Some said that support for the Monarchy would fall after the Queen's passing, but the new King is already proving them wrong.
I am not an ardent monarchist, but I take comfort from seeing our ancient rituals and traditions still taking place in the 21st century.
When it comes to pomp and pageantry, no-one does it as well as the British.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Here here!!

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

while I am sure we all deprecate slavery and it still goes on today in Vietnamese nail bars it wasn't just a UK royal thing we need to understand it wasn't just white people involved , please read this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53444752

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm For the benefit of those who ask "What's the point about her?" here are a few statistics :

Over one million people gathered in London to watch the funeral cortege in person.
Over 37 million watched the event on TV in the UK alone, 28 million of them on the BBC.
If this was intended to be an answer, it doesn't address the question asked in any way, I'm afraid...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:53 am
epigramophone wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm For the benefit of those who ask "What's the point about her?" here are a few statistics :

If this was intended to be an answer, it doesn't address the question asked in any way, I'm afraid...
This is not the place to give you a detailed answer, but you will find it here. https://www.royal.uk/role-monarchy