H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Post by edisonplayer »

I have God Save The King on a Blue Amberol by the National Military Band and Peter Dawson. edisonplayer.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have the 1911 Coronation Record of God Save the King, sung by Clara Butt on a single sided white label HMV.
A patriotic previous owner has stuck very small flags of the WW1 allies in the space between the grooves and the label.

I also have the 1911 Coronation Anthem sung by Edward Lloyd on a commemorative HMV. He came out of retirement to sing it during the service, but it is a studio recording as 1911 technology was not yet ready for live location recordings, even if permission could have been obtained.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:54 am But then, really: what's the point about her? What's the point of having a queen at all?
There is no point, and there is nothing special about the Queen and the royal family other than they were born into a family of wealth and privilege.
If they were all to die in a plane crash tomorrow, our governments would still function just as they do now.
And even though over her 70 yr reign the world has seen probably the best and most positive social changes in the history of humanity, none of those changes were made by or because of the Queen.
She never changed the world, the world changed around her, and the royal family was more or less forced to change with it.

And it's a family that for a thousand years have been racist corrupt murderous thieves, who have stolen everything from jewels to entire countries, where indigenous populations have been oppressed, killed or made slaves.
And many atrocities occured long into Queen Elizabeth's reign, so she is far from innocent. Just ask the indigenous parents of stolen children in Australia and Canada who it was that signed off in approval of this practice?
And apparently it appears racism still plays a role within the palace.
As for privilege, who else but the Queen could buy the freedom of her paedophile son?
And now wing nut Charlie takes the chair.
The man who right from the start slept around behind his wife's back. A wife he treated like pond scum.
No wonder Harry had the good sense to leave.

So while it's a little sad that she died, the reality is that she had a good run, and she was just another person who ate, sh#t and showered just like the rest of us, so the world has not lost anything extraordinary.
To be honest, I think losing Dianna was far more of a tragedy.
In my eyes, the monarchy is something we all should be ashamed of, not something to be proud of and celebrated.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 pm
Marco Gilardetti wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:54 am But then, really: what's the point about her? What's the point of having a queen at all?
There is no point, and there is nothing special about the Queen and the royal family other than they were born into a family of wealth and privilege.
If they were all to die in a plane crash tomorrow, our governments would still function just as they do now.
And even though over her 70 yr reign the world has seen probably the best and most positive social changes in the history of humanity, none of those changes were made by or because of the Queen.
She never changed the world, the world changed around her, and the royal family were more or less forced to change with it.

And it's a family that for a thousand years have been racist corrupt murderous thieves, who have stolen everything from jewels to entire countries, where indigenous populations have been oppressed, killed or made slaves.
And many atrocities occured long into Queen Elizabeth's reign, so she is far from innocent. Just ask the indigenous parents of stolen children in Australia and Canada who it was that signed off in approval of this practice?
As for privilege, who else but the Queen could buy the freedom of her paedophile son?
The man who right from the start slept around behind his wife's back. A wife he treated like pond scum.

So while it's a little sad that she died, the reality is that she had a good run, and she was just another person who ate, sh#t and showered just like the rest of us, so the world has not lost anything extraordinary.
In my eyes, the monarchy is something we all should be ashamed of, not something to be proud of and celebrated.

Wow, your views are so very contrary to mine in almost ever aspect.

Oh well, ho hum. Happy days. :D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 pm
She never changed the world, the world changed around her, and the royal family was more or less forced to change with it.

How could it have been QEII? Just curious.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

You might want to read through this news story where it mentions legal documents being signed.
And no, I'm not of any aboriginal heritage at all, but of European decent.
I do however feel the monarchy should be abolished, and the British empire should hand back all foreign soil to their rightful owners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-22/ ... /101464716

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm You might want to read through this news story where it mentions legal documents being signed.
And no, I'm not of any aboriginal heritage at all, but of European decent.
I do however feel the monarchy should be abolished, and the British empire should hand back all foreign soil to their rightful owners.

Was there a choice for her not to sign?

And I understand being a white person and being upset about poor treatment of people of colour. It just seems to me that these policies were promulgated and enacted by elected representatives during Elizabeth's reign, and her "signing off" is just a procedural part of her role in which she was barred from expressing political opinions. Thus there, as here, the problem really is the citizens and whom they elect.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

While this might be true about those we elect, there is always a choice, even for the queen to not sign something if she was strongly against it.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I should premise once again that I had simpathy for her and considered her an icon, but also stress out that after gramophoneshane's last post we're exactly back to my point. Politically speaking, she was supposed to take absolutely no position, and no position she has taken, even in the most worrying and controversial moments, when a single word from her could have changed everyhing. And then we've seen millions of people moved because she did such extraordinary things.

If the things she did were so extraordinary, I think it should be easy to list at least a dozen of them.

The replies I got so far are a count of the people and regiments who went to her funeral (not really addressing the question) and a thirteen lines promotional page about monarchy that lists more or less the same behaviours that also a responsible hotel concierge is expected to uphold in favour of the house that he represents.

No offense intended, this is not going to change my overall positive sentiments about her, but really, is that it?
Last edited by Marco Gilardetti on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm and the British empire should hand back all foreign soil to their rightful owners.

Indeed. As one looks forward to Australians of European descent handing back the entire continent to its indigenous inhabitants.