The New Historical Phono-Related Newspaper Articles and Advertisements Thread

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: The New Historical Phono-Related Newspaper Articles and Advertisements Thread

Post by Starkton »

[quote=phonogfp post_id=322607 time=1668797271 user_id=72]
I'm not dismissing this possibility, but since Kämmer, Reinhardt & Co. products were marketed primarily in Europe and Great Britain, and Seaman's contract was limited to the U.S. (where the earlier Gramophon products were virtually unknown), this would not seem to have been a significant concern.

George P.
[/quote]

"Europe and Great Britain"
I read this phrase often, but Great Britain is of course included in "Europe".

Independently of his contract in the U.S., Seaman built up a parallel export business with Europe, among other things to fulfill his purchase obligation with the Berliner Company.

I quote a letter of complaint from Berliner to Seaman from May 1898: "You are trying your best to interfere with my European Gramophone ventures. Mr. La Dow told me the other day that you would fight me in France … You made a contract with Parisian parties ..."

And a contemporaneous one from Berliner to William Barry Owen: "Mr. Seaman relies on the export business to keep up his orders to the Berliner Company and that explains his desperate efforts to get hold of a slice of the European business ...”

Seaman was thus very interested in the designation of his export goods in Europe.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: The New Historical Phono-Related Newspaper Articles and Advertisements Thread

Post by AmberolaAndy »

The many legal proceedings of the word “Gramophone”

June 11, 1900
Attachments
DD65637E-7033-4C07-8C71-D68845094DA3.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Starkton wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:49 pm
Independently of his contract in the U.S., Seaman built up a parallel export business with Europe, among other things to fulfill his purchase obligation with the Berliner Company.

I quote a letter of complaint from Berliner to Seaman from May 1898: "You are trying your best to interfere with my European Gramophone ventures. Mr. La Dow told me the other day that you would fight me in France … You made a contract with Parisian parties ..."

And a contemporaneous one from Berliner to William Barry Owen: "Mr. Seaman relies on the export business to keep up his orders to the Berliner Company and that explains his desperate efforts to get hold of a slice of the European business ...”

Seaman was thus very interested in the designation of his export goods in Europe.
Thank you, Stephan - I was unaware of this. Much appreciated!

As for the UK being part of Europe, there are many Brits who argue that point. I was trying to be as inclusive as possible.

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Article of a musuem exhibition of machines
March 1st, 1972
Attachments
94AFD51B-29EB-46E3-81FD-AE8672B3260C.jpeg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I don't know the origin of this newspaper cutting, but it probably dates from the 1950's :
Attachments
Edward VII.jpg
Edward VII.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 607 times

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:15 am I don't know the origin of this newspaper cutting, but it probably dates from the 1950's :
I’m going to try to put more articles from outside the US this time around too.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Earliest use of the nipper logo I could find…
March 31, 1901
Attachments
D2EF4AF6-5F40-4679-8193-1C327C27FE36.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

July 5th 1897: an article about “Voice Pickling” in Chicago.

“Voice pickling” That’s an interesting metaphor for recording.
Attachments
B0CCA29A-F116-4698-ACAF-864614DE317F.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I wanted to post some holiday related advertisements but this DISCOURAGING error is preventing me from doing so…☹️

Is it just me or is anyone dealing with this inconvenience?
Attachments
EA41AC50-EAF4-4CA4-9D19-F200B8993579.jpeg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Me myself yesterday when trying to upload photos of 5Mb size. I had finally to reduce them to be able to upload. It seems there's a new limit in size.
Another colleagues seem to be able to upload photos 2.5Mb sized, so maybe the limit is somewhere between 2.5 and 5.5
Inigo