why so much??? I mean, really?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

why so much??? I mean, really?

Post by brianu »

ok, I know there are plenty enough threads concerning questions as to why some ebay auctions might go so high... but I was wondering whether there might actually be a reason for this one???

I just didn't get why this one went to nearly $2000...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0339132953

when these (what appear to be quite) decent machines didn't even break close to half that...

a triumph...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0369708481

a fireside with cygnet horn...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0369705558

a really interesting columbia cylinder player...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0307550078

bostonmike1
Victor I

Re: why so much??? I mean, really?

Post by bostonmike1 »

gramophoneshane wrote:I hate to say it Brian, but I think US prices are slowly starting to catch up with the rest of the world. Even with the exchange rate, those prices are about what I'd expect to pay out here. In fact, I'd even say the Fireside went cheap.
hello my friend Brian----you are correct to question the price paid.the person who bought this at it's inflated price (and i hope it was not one of my fellow members on this forum) is welcome to come here to N.Y.C.(the capital of inflated prices) and i will personally sell him the Brooklyn Bridge,and for an extra $500.00 he can have the re-naming rights! there is a fool born every minute, and at that minute it was him. the Fireside was priced correctly in it's condition (if what was stated is in fact true).prices are not catching up here in the U.S. as was previosly written, but what is NOT catching up is peoples knowledge and common sense. this is why e-bay prospers-----it has a "pool of fools" for sellers to fish from. if people "down under" are willing to pay these prices regardless of the exchange rate and shipping costs, then they can buy my collction, and i can take the next year off and still feed and clothe my four children. Brian, you have a valid question. your friend michael

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

With the Triumph (eBay Item #250369708481) and the Fireside with cygnet horn (eBay Item #250369705558), I wonder if perhaps it wasn’t a matter of the pictures—these look like they were rather rough photos to begin with, and they could have been cut better (and perhaps buyers on eBay would rather have uncut photos?)...

On the Columbia (eBay Item #200307550078), I wonder if it wasn’t the reserve...or perhaps that it was pick up only?

But I am not an expert on eBay, or on what sells for what price and what does not. It could be a matter of the feedback, also—the first seller (eBay Item #270339132953) has 100% positive feedback (1659) and is a ‘power seller‘, whereas the seller from the second (eBay Item #250369708481) and third (eBay Item #250369705558) only has 97.7% positive feedback (475). However, the seller from the last item (eBay Item #200307550078) has 100% positive feedback (479), so...I don’t know how much of a difference it makes.

I know that with my friends who are addicted to eBay, they tend to pay close attention to the feedback...

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
To quote the auctions:

eBay Item #270339132953 ($1,804.77, 22 bids)

*1907 COLUMBIA "BO" CYLINDER PLAYER w/ LARGE HORN* RARE

*FIRST OF IT'S KIND* UNIQUE OAK CASE* ALL ORIGINAL* N/R

Here with NO RESERVE in original and remarkable condition is a 102 year old Columbia Model “BO” Graphophone. Manufactured in 1907 this was the first “Tonearm” cylinder machine to play the “half foot” records. It was also the ONLY Columbia machine to feature oval recesses in the oak cabinet which makes it a very unique model. This is a very beautiful machine that is highly thought of and sought after by serious antique phonograph collectors. And as you can see from the pictures the condition is absolutley stunning...and again it is all original including the beautiful finish, decals, paint etc. The crank is off an Edison and works just fine but I'm sure you could pick up a Columbia one with out too much looking...it's a nice machine and it really deserves to have one on it. This of course has the larger 6" mandrel and the mechanics and motor function flawlessly. This plays like new and the reproducer (needle head) is in great shape and puts out a sound that is crisp, clear and loud. The case besides looking like new is very solid with no damage whatsoever. The horn retains it's original paint with pinstriping and remarkably... NO DENTS. I’ve taken plenty of pics so please see for yourself...I think you'll agree it’s a wonderful example to be seriously considered for any collection.

Unable to add or change any pictures now but I’d like you to know that between my camera and Ebay’s pic services they really don’t show the lovely front decal as nice as it actually is. It’s sharp and clear with no crazing, fading or wear whatsoever.

[hr][/hr]

eBay Item #250369708481 ($650.03, 15 bids)

EDISON TRIUMPH MODEL B 2/4 MIN + LARGE HORN

Pictured is an Edison Triumph Model B phonograph with the 2 & 4-minute attachment. This phonograph has been restored and plays beautifully. The serial number on this phonograph is 61183. It comes equipped with a model H 4-minute stylus reproducer and plays loud and clear. The case finish is original and in amazing condition for its age. The horn has a 16.5” bell and is 32” long. The bell has some minor dents and creases but is very nice shape and has never been touched or buffed. The horn body has been repainted and is rust free and solid. The model B Triumph can play 2 or 4 minute cylinders. Since the H reproducer plays 4-minute cylinders, I am including 10 Edison blue amberol records to start your collection. The pinstripping is approximately 95% intact. The case and all metal parts are in excellent condition and will make a great addition to any collection. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer Triumph with the 2/4 minute combination. The horn brackets are very old and most likely original to this phonograph. The crane is a faithful reproduction. All you need to do is wind it up and play. Although there is a flat rate listed, buyer pays actual shipping only.

[hr][/hr]

eBay Item #250369705558 ($881.00, 21 bids)

EDISON FIRESIDE COMBINATION MODEL A + CYGNET HORN

Pictured is an Edison Fireside Model A phonograph with No. 10 Edison Cygnet horn. This phonograph has been restored and plays beautifully. The serial number on this phonograph is 64805. It comes equipped with a model B diamond stylus reproducer and plays loud and clear. The Cygnet horn is all original. The bell at one time was wood-grained but the paint flaked to such a degree that it had to be repainted black. The bell is almost dent free and the original decals are still intact and visible in one of the photos. The neck is also original but has a few dents in the back which cannot be seen from the front. The horn as a whole is rust free and solid. The crane is a faithful reproduction. The model A can play 2 or 4 minute cylinders. Since the B reproducer plays 4-minute cylinders, I am including 10 Edison blue amberol records to start your collection. The pinstripping is approximately 95% intact and even has the blue stripping. The case and all metal parts are in excellent condition and will make a great addition to any collection. All you need to do is wind it up and play.

[hr][/hr]

eBay Item #200307550078 ($510.00, 7 bids, reserve not met; Buy it now: $975.00)

Columbia BE Graphophone, 2min. cylinder phonograph

Very nice original 2 minute cylinder phonograph with reproduction aluminum horn. I hate to part with it but that’s how it is sometimes. Excellent condition and plays well. Pictures tell the story. It was purchased a few months back from Tim Fabrizio at “Phonophan”. Pick up only.

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Could the BO be expensive because of the 6 mandrel?

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

I think the seller of the Columbia BO explains the situation pretty well. The BO was a unique model in many ways, and it is considerably more rare than any of the other machines that you point out. This BO appears complete and in very good condition - all pluses. The little "?" shaped elbow that connects the reproducer to the tonearm is a separate loose piece that often goes missing. By the way, I still need one for my BO. Columbias in general have not brought the kind of prices that Edisons and Victors bring, but that's mostly because they're not "Fords" or "Chevys". This model being a "Studebaker" doesn't reflect poorly on its inherent quality, merely that the collector base for it is considerably smaller. That said, this BO brought a very good price, but not outrageous considering its model number. By comparison, the Fords are, well, Fords. There are a lot of 'em around, and they are not bringing the prices that they used to because most collectors have one or more of them already.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Nice machines - all of these. I note however that the Fireside is missing the metal cover that goes over the gear part of the left hand side of the machine.

RJ 8-)

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I think that Columbia BO sold for $950 at an auction in MO 2 weekends ago. I didn't recognize Snake01 at the time but now that I think of it, I think it was him. Not a bad profit..

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I guess the one that surprises me the most is the Triumph. I thought it should go higher. Any Triumph is a reliable workhorse of a machine and this one "appeared" in pretty good shape. I agree with MordEth that one of the reasons it probably did not go higher was because of the pictures. Not one good closeup of the front decal for example. This always gets me about some of the eBAY sellers. They expect you to shell out big bucks for some of these items and provide only mediocre pictures. Before I'll seriously consider bidding on something significant I've gotta see some good pictures of details or I won't bid. Sometimes when I request a seller to provide by email better (higher resolution and pics of specific details) they send me pics of the same poor quality as those they posted!

I also thought the BE might go a little higher. Again it "apprears" to be very nice but no real closeups. Hard to tell without bombarding the seller with alot of questions and requests for pictures whether it's all original or a very good restoration.

The BO did seem to go a bit high, especially with the rather common black horn. Again it appears to be a very nice machine but I agree with Greg, not outrageous. In fact if I was really trying to complete a Columbia rear mount cylinder machine collection, I might pay that much for it with assuming further examination and better pics check out.

bruce

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Here's one Frankenphone, the results of the auction of which bewilders me. And boy is it hideous!

http://tinyurl.com/dnczph

I know, I know, it's probably for the parts...
Adam