Someone Please Save this VTLA

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Zeppy
Victor III

Someone Please Save this VTLA

Post by Zeppy »

They're only asking $100 for it, and started the restoration. I would pick it up if I was closer (I have most of the parts, including the horn). The statement of "Would make great liquor cabinet" made me throw up in my mouth.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 846c632c3c
Attachments
332397488_6233635946749525_6573318459942418286_n.jpg

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Someone Please Save this VTLA

Post by Skihawx »

Too much required to be worth the effort. One could be had at the last Stanton auction for $400.
Attachments
VTLA $400.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Skihawx wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:44 pm Too much required to be worth the effort. One could be had at the last Stanton auction for $400.
My thoughts exactly. It's a book case or drinks cabinet for anyone who thinks it's worth the effort. For most people it's scrap.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

It's being "advertised" for $100.... meaning, it might very well be able to be bought for less. ;)

If one had the parts (like the original poster mentioned), I think it would probably be worth saving, in my humble opinion. HOWEVER, I agree with the responses, too - it would take QUITE A BIT of time and effort. It would have to be a labor of love, not a money making proposition. I am restoring a hoosier cabinet right now and I would probably have to get over $1,000 for it to fully reimburse myself for the time and effort. However, the thing is probably only worth $300 to $400.... :roll:

All part of the fun, it's a hobby, and we're saving history..... right.... ;)

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Saving and enjoying history. If it is not all that enjoyable, I'm not sure I would always do it. I've parted out many things that were too far gone for their historical significance.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I would buy it for about $50 then most likely part it out so that other machines could be saved.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

travisgreyfox wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:39 pm I would buy it for about $50 then most likely part it out so that other machines could be saved.
There's no shortage of cabinet parts out there I think..

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

If you're looking at phonographs as an investment, you'll probably do equally well investing with Beanie Babies. Since the crash of 2009, most phonographs are about a third of what the peaked at (and that's not even accounting for inflation). Sadly, most machines have more value parted out than as a complete machine.

That said, it depends why you're in the hobby. And for me, it very much is a hobby. It's not an investment. All my machines have required some level of restoration. My favorites were barn finds that need a ton of love (an oak VTLA and a Vic 6, and have a Vic 5 and a VV-XII that I'm currently working on). The Vic 6 is probably the only one that I could turn a profit on, not counting the time and effort (I don't really count the cost of shellac either. That's just overhead in my world). It took me about three years to do the VTLA. I did that while in law school and it was what I used to keep me sane for study breaks. I get some people just "collect" for the sake of having them. That's not me, just because once it's done....well, it's nice and all, but you gotta find a place for them. I can find a machine a lot faster than I can restore a machine, and I have a finite amount of space to fill, and a wife that doesn't want to live in a phonograph museum. So here you have a cabinet that is in solid condition, that isn't your run of the mill VV-X or XI. The parts aren't even that uncommon, and can regularly be hand on ebay for a reasonable price (again, gone are the times that the motor for these things would run you $450).

As for the value...Sure, one sold at Stantons for $400. I'm not in Michigan. Most of us aren't. To bring that puppy home could cost another $400. Stanton's doesn't reflect the national market, except maybe for smaller machines/items that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to ship. Markets for large machines are still very local.

OK. I'm pontificating too much, so I'll get off my "save the machines" soapbox.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

From the photos, it appears to be in a refinishing shop at the moment. My guess is that the owner balked at the price to complete it and walked away. It's really not all that bad, until you see the veneer on the doors.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Well, someone took it.