Stylish Parlophone portable pot metal problems

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Stylish Parlophone portable pot metal problems

Post by Steve »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295663732075 ... media=COPY

I was instantly drawn to this rather attractive stylish Art Deco-esque machine with its almost 20s cinema interior look but noticed the pot metal crumble of the soundbox. With it being a very late "independent" Parlophone with gilt brass finish what are the chances of replacing it? Low, I would say. Never mind then but what is that postbox type slot adjacent to the winding handle? I guess it's not a postbox so perhaps the winder folds into it somehow. I've never seen anything like it before! Does anyone know how that works?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Stylish Parlophone portable pot metal problems

Post by Inigo »

Certainly, very beautiful... That problem with Odeon and Parlophone soundboxes is sadly pretty common, judging for the many cases I've seen in eBay examples. Never had one of these soundboxes, so I can't imagine how to repair this....
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Maybe it's only me, I can't see any particular problems with this sound box, from the two uploaded photos where the sound box is partly visible.
That said, I have never seen this slot around the winding handle on any of the Parlophone and Odeon portables I own or have serviced.
The machine appears to be in very good condition to me, and truly different than the Parlophones/Odeon portables that generally show up for sale..

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:48 pm Never mind then but what is that postbox type slot adjacent to the winding handle? I guess it's not a postbox so perhaps the winder folds into it somehow. I've never seen anything like it before! Does anyone know how that works?
If you look carefully, you'll see that the wooden grip is spring-loaded, so that it will fold flat against the shaft of the handle. The handle is then lined up with the slot in the case, and pushed in, where it is held by a spring ratchet. When the handle is then needed, a push on it releases the ratchet, and the handle pops out. My Parlophone clockwork/electric machine has the same feature.
Barry

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:15 am Maybe it's only me, I can't see any particular problems with this sound box, from the two uploaded photos where the sound box is partly visible.
That said, I have never seen this slot around the winding handle on any of the Parlophone and Odeon portables I own or have serviced.
The machine appears to be in very good condition to me, and truly different than the Parlophones/Odeon portables that generally show up for sale..
Check out the break ringed in blue
Attachments
parlophone1b.jpg

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:27 am
Steve wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:48 pm Never mind then but what is that postbox type slot adjacent to the winding handle? I guess it's not a postbox so perhaps the winder folds into it somehow. I've never seen anything like it before! Does anyone know how that works?
If you look carefully, you'll see that the wooden grip is spring-loaded, so that it will fold flat against the shaft of the handle. The handle is then lined up with the slot in the case, and pushed in, where it is held by a spring ratchet. When the handle is then needed, a push on it releases the ratchet, and the handle pops out. My Parlophone clockwork/electric machine has the same feature.
Barry
I knew you would know, somehow. Thanks, Barry!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Phono48 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:27 am
Barry
That seems to me to be a rather clumsy arrangement. Is that vast slot boxed in under the motor board, or is it open allowing dust and goodness knows what else to get into the space occupied by the horn and motor?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I see the sound box problem now, it can sadly be hard to replace, since it is guilted too...

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Is it me or does the inside hardware appear to be gold including the tone-arm? Apparently it's not. It's all nickel plated!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

No, far from being clumsy, it's a neat and novel way to stop the possible loss of the winding handle. The slot is closed at the back, with just a hole for the shaft of the handle to pass through. When the handle is folded and pushed into the slot, it sits slightly below the surface of the case, so nothing is sticking out.

Barry