Sleeves?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Lah Ca
Victor III

Sleeves?

Post by Lah Ca »

What is the best deal going now for 10" and 12" sleeves?

I have used Nauk's Disk-O-File sleeves in the past when my collection was smaller and was growing slowly, a few disks or a few small collections added here and there. No complaints about them. Very durable.

Recently though, I have received about two short-box pickup truck loads of disks. This haul has been a bit overwhelming and has caused some marital stress, despite the spousal delight in many of the finds in this avalanche of records, finds such as the small cache of Al Bowly stuff. ;)

Many of the disks here require re-sleeving. Most of the sleeves are foxing badly and are self-disintegrating and contaminating the records with fine paper dust. Shelling out for Disk-O-File sleeves here would be very expensive. I would need a very large number of them. Shipping would be costly to Canada, and the dollar value of the order would bring the shipment to the notice of Canada Customs, with such attention greatly delaying package delivery and greatly adding to the cost with duty taxes and service fees for charging the taxes.

Also Nauk has been out of 12" sleeves for quite some time,

Can anyone suggest reasonable alternatives? Thanks.
Last edited by Lah Ca on Sat May 27, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Re: Sleeves?

Post by AudioFeline »

I've spent hours looking online for a supply of envelopes that can be trimmed to fit 10" disks, and not found anything suitable. Given that you have such a large qty required, perhaps approach an envelope manufacturer for a quote on something that would be suitable, they can make to custom sizes. You may or may not get the centre hole cutout, but that may not be a big thing. When I was looking for a diy solution, I was planning on getting a compass circle cutter to create the hole - a bit of work but the time will pass listening to some good music while doing it.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Lah Ca wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:01 pm What is the best deal going now for 10" and 12" sleeves?
I suggest you contact the Canadian Antique Phonograph Society and ask them about local sources for these covers. There must be a business in Canada that sells them, especially with the resurgence of LPs.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

For bulk purchases I go there https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/ ... o-supplies. They do ship to Canada as well.

Andreas

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Thank you all.

The Bags Unlimited selection looks nice, and the company has a very straightforward and well-explained shipping protocol for Canada---door to door service by courier--all brokerage fees, duties, and taxes covered---no muss no fuss.

I will also ask at CAPS (he says smacking his forehead for not having thought of this himself as he is a member).

UpstateNYBilly
Victor O
Personal Text: Phonatic

Post by UpstateNYBilly »

Yes, I would suggest bags unlimited. I've been dealing with them for years. Their products are good and reasonably priced and their shipping is also affordable. When I managed Footlight Records in NYC we would order their 10" and 12" plastic outer sleeves to protect the album covers and were never disappointed as well. Best of luck!