Did early Victrolas use a different cabinet key?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oliver
Victor I

Re: Did early Victrolas use a different cabinet key?

Post by oliver »

S/N is 2270. not 2470 as I initially thought

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Thanks for the revised serial number, it uses the same key. The black taper tube support does not look right, can you show us a better photo? It looks like a modern replica of the support intended for a Orthophonic type taper tube. Those small holes are used to attach the bracket to a pressed steel base, not screwed directly into the wood or to the neck of the cast iron horn. Finding the right part should not be too difficult.

Mark
IMG_0004.jpeg

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Hi Mark,

You bring up an interesting point. Thank you. The taper tube support is honestly something I did not question as I tend to attribute the machine's oddities to the fact that it's an early Victrola. I am attaching another image which hopefully will help.

I don't have any history on the machine other than I picked it up 24 years ago from a local auction house. At that time the machine quite obviously hadn't received any care in decades as it was very filthy, had a broken spring, broken governor; and 2 case joints were separating.
The bullet brake, low S/N, and the fact that I like basket case phonographs motivated me to place a bid on it. After becoming the new custodian, I left it untouched for a few years before deciding it should get some help. The motor and case were repaired and a (not so successful, waste of time-ish) cleaning was done on the outside of the case. That's where we're at today. In any event, I am not sorry I purchased it and now dug it out of a closet as it is keeping me intrigued and I am enjoying the interaction with other forum members.
I believe that any modifications that were made to this machine must have taken place during a much earlier part of its life. But now, the question becomes: Can I live with this or must the machine be 100% anatomically correct? I don't know yet. Given that it's far from being museum quality, other than a reproducer overhaul and sorting out the lock, I am kind of tempted to leave it as is. What would you do with it?

Thank you,
Oliver
VV X4.jpg
VV X3.jpg

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

So I've been searching online for early Victrola images & videos. Found 3 Youtube videos of an early VV-IX, VV-X, and VV-XI where the tone arm setup appeared to be similar to mine with the tone arm support being screwed directly into the wood rather than being mounted to a base plate. That's kind of encouraging.

If any members own first year VV-X's with a S/N that is below 3000, I would greatly appreciate if you could post pictures to this thread.

Thank you.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Phono-Phan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:08 pm I might have a replacement lock mechanism. Can you email me a picture? It should take the standard V key.
Ken, I tried to send you a PM but for whatever reason am unable to send any PM's. I was lucky and found what I needed right at home. An old lock that's a perfect fit and will work with a common key. So there is no need to look for one but I thank you for your offer to come to the rescue.

Thank you also to members who contributed to this thread.

Oliver

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Quick update: I've had to put this aside for a little while but the machine now has a working lock with a regular Victrola key. While a future reproducer rebuild is in the pipeline, I am now going to leave the machine alone as I strongly believe it is anatomically correct. Thank you everyone for your input.
x519.jpg

My next endeavor will likely be a basket case Victor III with motor issues.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

I'm sorry but we're not quite finished with this machine. The newly installed lock inspired me to start cleaning the case with non-pumice GoJo. It seems to be helping, slightly improving the appearance of the oak grain.
x (8).jpg
rag.jpg
The finish is not in tip top shape and there are a few battle scars but that's OK.
I may not go any further as I prefer the machine to stay in close to attic condition.