Need Knurled Knob for Columbia AB (MacDonald) Graphophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
solophoneman
Victor II

Need Knurled Knob for Columbia AB (MacDonald) Graphophone

Post by solophoneman »

I believe I mentioned this on the MOCAPS meeting Thread that was posted earlier. But here is a photo of the knurled knob from Jack Whelan's AB (thanks for the photo Jack). If anyone has this odd part in their parts supplies, and can spare it, please let me know. It is used to secure the large 5" mandrel to the AB, once it is slipped on over the regular Mandrel. Thanks, Bruce

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Need Knurled Knob for Columbia AB (MacDonald) Graphophone

Post by JohnM »

I think these used to be available from Dwayne Wyatt at 707-263-5013 (Pacific time zone). Hope this helps! John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

please let us know if you are successful getting this from Wyatt's. I need one of those also. Steve

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Do you know the diameter and thread specs? This is probably something you could kluge up from standard hardware parts, if you can't find an original/repro. My eyeball says it looks like ¼"-20 or maybe 5/16"-20, which you can get for mere pennies from the parts drawers of your local, well-stocked, independently owned hardware store, as a hex-head machine bolt; they come in various lengths. Might be worth a try, especially if you need the part in order for the machine to function; it'll do 'til you can find a "real" one.

(The reason I'm guessing it's ¼"-20 is that's a very common size in photographic applications---tripod threads, flash brackets, and the like---and I bet I've had dozens of such gizmos over the years in my photography hobby.)

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Jean-Paul in Canada makes the 5 inch mandrels perhaps he makes repro screws too.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jean-paul.agna ... ection.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a spot to click and view his repro parts.

Not positive if he makes the screws but it never hurts to ask!

Aaron

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Solophoneman,

It's possible you may also need a collar that slides over the hub of the mandrel for the knurled screw to press against. On my machine the brass collar is ⅝" in outer diameter and is ¼" long. I guess it would depend if your larger mandrel is original or a reproduction and if reproduction, some have it built onto the mandrel and some didn't. The knurled screw is 11/16" diameter and has a 5/16"-18 thread. The entire length of the screw is ½" (about half of that being the knurled portion).

I hope one of the parts suppliers has them available. Good luck

ColoradoPhonograph

solophoneman
Victor II

Re: Need Knurled Knob for Columbia AB (FOUND)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by solophoneman »

Bingo, I contacted Jean-Paul and he has the part, and I will be ordering it. So if anyone else needs one he seems to be the only specialty phonograph supplier that has one. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions on this.

Bruce

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Bruce,

Glad to hear that you found one. At least if anyone else needs one, now they’ll know who to contact.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks Bruce. I just got a note from Jean-Paul and put a check in the mail... Steve