The voice of Sam Lanin

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
FredSugarHall_fan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

The voice of Sam Lanin

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

Hello everyone,

It seems as if almost all of the major American bandleaders found a way to put their voice out on records. Ben Bernie, Fred Waring, Ben Selvin, Irving Aaronson, Fred Hall, Carlton Coon, Joe Sanders, and Harry Reser just to name a few can be heard singing (or speaking) on various recordings, and their voices are rather distinguishable.

Something that has baffled me for some time is that I can't seem to find any instances of Sam Lanin performing on his music. Through the vast groups he led, he seems more prolifically recorded than any other dance band leader, yet I cannot name one recording featuring his voice...

...or can I? I have a copy of HotW record K-3, featuring two tracks by Sam Lanin's Orchestra. Towards the end of the "College Medley" track, a man chimes in to briefly praise the longer playing HotW double track records. Could this man be Sam Lanin? If not, is there anyone here who knows of a true audio recording of Sam Lanin's voice?

This probably seems a little silly but this is something that has really peaked my curiosity since I first heard one of his records over a year ago.

Thank you for any help you can give.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: The voice of Sam Lanin

Post by CharliePhono »

FredSugarHall_fan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:13 am
"It seems as if almost all of the major American bandleaders found a way to put their voice out on records. Ben Bernie, Fred Waring, Ben Selvin, Irving Aaronson, Fred Hall, Carlton Coon, Joe Sanders, and Harry Reser just to name a few can be heard singing (or speaking) on various recordings, and their voices are rather distinguishable."

And though it doesn't help with your inquiry regarding Lanin, I am reminded that Vincent Lopez often said, "May it please you," at the end of some recordings.

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CharliePhono wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:49 am
"It seems as if almost all of the major American bandleaders found a way to put their voice out on records. Ben Bernie, Fred Waring, Ben Selvin, Irving Aaronson, Fred Hall, Carlton Coon, Joe Sanders, and Harry Reser just to name a few can be heard singing (or speaking) on various recordings, and their voices are rather distinguishable."
And though it doesn't help with your inquiry regarding Lanin, I am reminded that Vincent Lopez often said, "May it please you," at the end of some recordings.
"May it please you" was Ben Pollack, actually. Vincent Lopez was "Lopez speaking". And I am not sure Lanin himself ever appeared vocally on any of his records.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

gramophone-georg wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm
"May it please you" was Ben Pollack, actually. Vincent Lopez was "Lopez speaking". And I am not sure Lanin himself ever appeared vocally on any of his records.
Yup, you're absolutely correct, George. Don't know how I confused the two. I love being old . . .

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CharliePhono wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:36 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Yup, you're absolutely correct, George. Don't know how I confused the two. I love being old . . .
You'll REALLY love being dead, then! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek