Phonoscope Journal

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MarkELynch
Victor II

Phonoscope Journal

Post by MarkELynch »

For the collectors interested in the early history of Sound Recording here is a scanned group of an publication called The Phonoscope.

Thirty years ago I can recall buying a single edition reproduction copy, probably from Allen Koenigsberg, but had not seen these others until now. Quite a wealth of information is contained here!

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Phonoscope.htm

I look forward to your comments.

Mark
IMG_0020.jpeg
Last edited by MarkELynch on Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Phonoscope Journal

Post by phonogfp »

The Phonoscope is a treasure trove of information. I bought the microfilm edition in 1992 from the New York Public Library. Thankfully, the scanned digital editions are much better for the images, but that microfilm served me faithfully for many years. References to The Phonoscope can be found in all 8 of the books I co-authored, and in dozens of articles I've written.

In addition to the online resource (which unfortunately does not include the 1900 issues), there is (or was) a CD edition which is very handy.

Between The Phonoscope (1896-1900) and The Talking Machine World (1905-1930 - and also available online), there's a tremendous amount of information. Unfortunately, for the late 1900-1904 period, there's only the Music Trade Review (available online), which is pretty skimpy on talking machines.

George P.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

As George states, the Phonoscope is a great resource and we appreciate his careful research when including references to it in the series of books and articles that he has authored!

To start this new discussion here is an article about John Kruesi, the machinist who made the first Phonograph for Edison.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_0022.jpeg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Very interesting, many thanks for these useful links.
Inigo

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

I had forgotten that Kruesi became the chief mechanical engineer of the General Electric Company. He must have been a very smart individual.

Jim Nichol

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I should mention that all known issues of The Phonoscope (including 1900), nearly all issues of The Talking Machine World, the Edison Amberola Monthly, the Edison Phonograph Monthly, and the early periodical of the North American period, The Phonogram, are available online in the APS member library.

George P.

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

I would also add that this site:

https://mediahistoryproject.org/collect ... adcasting/

Has most of what has been referred to and much much, much more available to everyone!!!!

There are many resources available for us to learn about and enjoy our hobby!!

Shawn
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Shawn wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:08 pm I would also add that this site:

https://mediahistoryproject.org/collect ... adcasting/

Has most of what has been referred to and much much, much more available to everyone!!!!

There are many resources available for us to learn about and enjoy our hobby!!

Shawn
Shawn,

That site is just amazing. I've never seen it before.

--- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Shawn wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:08 pm There are many resources available for us to learn about and enjoy our hobby!!
Shawn
Indeed there are - not like the "bad old days" when all we had was From Tinfoil to Stereo and The Fabulous Phonograph! Even twenty years ago I never dreamed that - for the price of a couple of inexpensive dinners - we would have online access to over 30,000 searchable pages of documents dating from 1890 to the present. Books, original machine catalogs, period articles, back issues of collector magazines such as "The Antique Phonograph Monthly," the "New Amberola Graphic," the "California Antique Phonograph Society," the "Michigan Antique Phonograph Society," the "Talking Machine Review," and of course all back issues of the APS magazine (which is also delivered in hard copy form to members). Like many others, I'm also looking forward to the APS Midwest Music Expo in 3 weeks - see you at Schaumburg!

George P.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

phonogfp wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:50 pm I should mention that all known issues of The Phonoscope (including 1900), nearly all issues of The Talking Machine World, the Edison Amberola Monthly, the Edison Phonograph Monthly, and the early periodical of the North American period, The Phonogram, are available online in the APS member library.

George P.
Yet another good reason to be an APS member!!!!!