Columbia Nonpariel?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Columbia Nonpariel?

Post by dzavracky »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... c290f36a42

I used to own one that was very similar to this. Not exactly the most appealing cabinet, but if it is the same model I had the diaphragm is larger than the typical Columbia no.6 reproducer. It had a huge clear sound.

Anyways, just thought I would post it here. It's certainly a uncommon one.

David
Attachments
columbia.jpeg

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Columbia Nonpariel?

Post by dzavracky »

For reference, here was the one. I used to own. Notice the lid says "Nonpareil" on the decal.

David
Attachments
IMG_6385.jpg
IMG_6F1A153B336D-1.jpeg
c-3.png
c-3.png (361.55 KiB) Viewed 508 times
c-2.png
c-2.png (324.74 KiB) Viewed 508 times
c_1.png
c_1.png (323.15 KiB) Viewed 508 times

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

I don't have access to my Columbia Disc Machine book at this moment, but I will venture a guess. If memory serves me correctly the Nonpareil went from a model that looks like your previous phonograph (I have one, too) straight to a more traditional Grafonola cabinet with carvings on the legs. I could be wrong but I don't think this is a Nonpareil. Now, I will glance at my book later to see if I was right, LOL.

I agree that the phonograph currently linked in your post is a unique model and the price isn't horrible, either. If somebody was building a collection and wanted a Columbia machine a little "different" than everybody else, they would probably want to consider this.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Hey! I remembered to take a peek at the book last night and confirmed my thoughts - it is not a Nonpareil, it's a De Luxe.

reference: See page 125, Columbia Phonograph Companion, Volume II by Robert W. Baumbach

According to Mr. Baumbach's book, this model was introduced in 1912, featured gold plated hardware and a four spring motor! Pretty Neat!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph