I.C.S. Cylinder Records Question

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

I.C.S. Cylinder Records Question

Post by JerryVan »

I see that there are black wax I.C.S. cylinders and also Blue Amberol I.C.S. cylinders. I realize that these play at a lower RPM than regular cylinders, but do both the wax & B.A. versions still play with a Model C reproducer? I'm sure the wax ones do, but do the B.A.'s also, or do the B.A.'s play with a Model H?

Victor VI

Re: I.C.S. Cylinder Records Question

Post by 52089 »

The ICS language cylinders play at 90 RPM. This is true for both 2 minute black wax and 4 minute blue Amberol.

Black wax is played with Model C or equivalent. Blue Amberols are played with Model H or any other 4 minute reproducer (Diamond A/B/C, Model K/S, etc.)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

52089 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:55 pm The ICS language cylinders play at 90 RPM. This is true for both 2 minute black wax and 4 minute blue Amberol.

Black wax is played with Model C or equivalent. Blue Amberols are played with Model H or any other 4 minute reproducer (Diamond A/B/C, Model K/S, etc.)
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know. I probably should have just simply asked if the BA version had a 2 min. or 4 min. groove. Nonetheless, you answered my question perfectly.

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

The blue celluloid ICS cylinders I have are 90 RPM 100 TPI 2 min groove, I assume that the molds were made over to the celluloid process so that the existing phonographs and books that were printed for them could continue to be used. However I understand there was an ICS Amberola 30 so that suggests that there were 4min groove language records as well but they don't show up in Europe as far as I know.