Canadian record labels

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Canadian record labels

Post by eighteenbelow »

Though I live in the US, I sometimes come across Canadian records when I buy big lots of 78s. Aside from Victor Canada, the most common labels I have found are Starr and Apex. Recently, though, I found two brown discs on the Crown label. Since I only keep records from before 1940 (I give away or donate the rest), these Starr and Apex discs -- and there are a lot of them at this point -- have been sitting in a kind of limbo, as I haven't been able to date them. Can anyone tell me when, approximately, records with labels that look like these were made? As for the Crown (these are the only two I have ever seen), I assume they are earlier than 1940, though I would love to know approximately when they were made, too. If anyone can help with some information, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Attachments
Crown 2.jpg
Crown.jpg
Starr.jpg
Apex.jpg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Canadian record labels

Post by drh »

Well, "The Singing Fool" was released in 1928 and "Broadway Melody" was released in 1929; it seems safe to guess that the Crown records would be at least roughly contemporary.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Canadian record labels

Post by epigramophone »

The Compo Company Ltd was founded in 1918 by Herbert Berliner, the eldest son of Emile Berliner.
It was created to press records for several independent American companies who wanted to distribute their records in Canada.
Compo introduced their own Apex and Sun labels in the early 1920's.