Help please - Decca 130 autobrake - how to adjust ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Help please - Decca 130 autobrake - how to adjust ?

Post by poodling around »

It applies the brake far too early when playing a record ............ so I have removed it for now.

Does anyone know how to adjust this, as I can't figure it out ?

Thanks for any help as always.
Attachments
d130.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Help please - Decca 130 autobrake - how to adjust ?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

This is curious, as it looks completely different by the brake unit of my Salon 130.

I will assume however that this is also of the "programmable" type (although it might not be). Should it be, first fold the tonearm by moving it completely clockwise into the rest position (this will reset the autobrake mechanical memory). Then pull it all the way counterclockwise to start the turntable. Move the tonearm across the record over the point in which you desire the record to stop (quite obviously, in general this will be the runout groove area) and press the stop lever; the position will be mechanically memorised. Pull the tonearm once again all the way counterclockwise to start the turntable and play the record. If everything is functional, the turntable should stop automatically when the tonearm will reach the previously memorised stop point.

poodling around
Victor V

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:14 am This is curious, as it looks completely different by the brake unit of my Salon 130.

I will assume however that this is also of the "programmable" type (although it might not be). Should it be, first fold the tonearm by moving it completely clockwise into the rest position (this will reset the autobrake mechanical memory). Then pull it all the way counterclockwise to start the turntable. Move the tonearm across the record over the point in which you desire the record to stop (quite obviously, in general this will be the runout groove area) and press the stop lever; the position will be mechanically memorised. Pull the tonearm once again all the way counterclockwise to start the turntable and play the record. If everything is functional, the turntable should stop automatically when the tonearm will reach the previously memorised stop point.
Thank you very much Marco Gilardetti.

I think that this auto-brake (shown above) appeared on later model Decca 130's. I also have an early model 130 and guess that the different auto-brake on this is the same as yours ? (Photograph below). This one works perfectly.

I still don't understand how this later one works. The gramophone works very well without it so perhaps I will just leave it off for now.

Thank you once again.
Attachments
abd.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Exactly, the latter is of the same type of that on my unit.

Doesn't the other work more or less the same way? The red tab taking the place of the black button, etc?

poodling around
Victor V

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:28 am Exactly, the latter is of the same type of that on my unit.

Doesn't the other work more or less the same way? The red tab taking the place of the black button, etc?
You could be correct Marco.

I have been fiddling around with it all morning though, trying your suggestion and I have to admit defeat.

I must be missing something obvious.

Oh well, thanks again.