The Library of Congress sets up the National Jukebox

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

The Library of Congress sets up the National Jukebox

Post by Edisonfan »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011 ... =fb&cc=fmp

Found this article on NPR through Facebook. People everywhere will finally be able to hear the music that us collectors have known for years. It's about time, that the public was made aware of this music. Hopefully, this will draw some more interest in this music, that we as collectors of this music already enjoy.

Paul

melvind
Victor IV

Re: The Library of Congress sets up the National Jukebox

Post by melvind »

What a fun and fantastic site. Thanks for posting the article. This is a great resource and provides so much to the public.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

You're Welcome!

dennis
Victor I

Post by dennis »

I was listening to a Collins and Harlan recording on this site and noticed the following disclaimer:

"These selections are presented as part of the record of the past. They are historical documents which reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. The Library of Congress does not endorse the views expressed in these recordings, which may contain content offensive to users."

I guess we will forever be apologizing for the past.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

That isn't an apology, it is an interpretation of the historical context. The words 'sorry' or 'apology' do not appear in the text. It functions as a disclaimer.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

reboot31
Victor Jr

Post by reboot31 »

Thanks Edisonfan for giving the link and sharing the information.. This is indeed interesting! :D
i love phonographs!
USB flash drives
Pet insurance

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

A special congratulations & thanks to collectors Mark Lynch & David Giovannoni for their, "more than 800 rare and very early Victor recordings to the National Jukebox project."

dlovrien
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Credenza

Post by dlovrien »

Corrected link:
"9 of the Best Recordings From the Library of Congress' New Music Service"
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ce/238749/

transformingArt
Victor I
Personal Text: Veritas Est Bonus Amicus Mea!

Post by transformingArt »

I dabbled with lots of materials appeared on this website for the rest of the day until just before I went to sleep - and I came to the conclusion that the sound quality of the files are not the highest standards - surely they are not Audiophile quality, but at least they used 78rpm stylus.

Regarding the speed problems, I discovered that they didn't correct the sound at all. Check out "Home, Sweet Home" by Cuban soprano Rosalia Chalia (Marston issued a CD album of her) from 1901 Pre-Dog Victor. That record is supposed to be played at 71.6rpm, and they posted the transfer at 78rpm - which is really distressing to hear. Similar things happened with Caruso records; there are some recordings of him that were obviously transposed down, but they still sounds at score pitch. And what were they thinking not including the 1907 Vesti la Giubba / 1911 Celeste Aida? (Only 1904 recordings were posted) Apparently Sony - who is the legal owner of these recordings - never tried to gave up their chance to make some money.

I also discovered that some of the major rarities (The 1903 First Victor Red Seals, for example) were copied not from the disc itself, but old (and crudely made) reel tape copies RCA Victor made in the 1960s and 70s. I noticed it when I heard a transfer of Caruso-Farrar duet from Faust. There are two irritating 'thumps' at the beginning, and you can hear the same thumps on all of RCA LP/CD reissues (*even the Soundstream process didn't cover it up.)

But I would say, at least this website would get some people interested in recordings from 78rpm era. They noted that they would update more files occasionally - hopefully they would get recordings by Ponselle or Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra soon enough. Also - some electrical sides and Columbia/Okeh/Decca recordings as well. (as they promised)