How the pro's wind a mainspring

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: How the pro's wind a mainspring

Post by Brad »

Steve wrote:I have an original gramophone factory spring winder in my collection
PICTURES!!!!!! (please ;) )
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Or, better yet, a YouTube video of a Keystone or Webster clock mainspring winder being used.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Just for you, Brad! ;)

It appears the winding handle has been reversed to make it more compact for boxing up etc, but please don't ask me how it all works - I haven't the foggiest notion! :roll:

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Amberola 1-A wrote:
Zeppy wrote:I wonder where I can get me one of those contraptions?

And definitely fair use for education.

;)
There are several different types of mainspring winders used for installing the springs into clock barrels that you can use. These can be found at clock supply houses like Merritt's and start around $200.00 and go up.
I've used a Webster's winder for years and they work quite well.

:clover:
You wouldn't happen to have contact info, would you? I'm rather interested in getting one of those, and I can't seem to find a contact.

Thanks

JP

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Zeppy wrote: You wouldn't happen to have contact info, would you? I'm rather interested in getting one of those, and I can't seem to find a contact.

Thanks

JP
JP,

Here's Merritt's website.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Steve wrote:Just for you, Brad! ;)
Thanks Steve,

Looking at it, it is not obvious how it was used. Does the main arbor have a tab to hold the end of the spring?

Anyone have any ideas?
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

I think i may have an idea as to how this works but Steve do i have you permision to take one of your pictures and add it to my paint program to diagram how i think it works?Otherwise i dont think i could explain in JUST words.

Aaron

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think I might have worked it out too, but I think it's for winding the spring & wiring it, rather than putting it directly in a barrel like the one Brad shows.
The winding arbour should pass through the V shaped parts & acts as a guide to keep the spring winding evenly, and the frame goes over the spring once wound & wired to hold it. Then you pull the rod out of the spring?
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Brad wrote:Looking at it, it is not obvious how it was used. Does the main arbor have a tab to hold the end of the spring?
Brad,

I was wondering the same thing myself, and I think that there is a raised part (see the image below)...but I am by no means knowledgeable about this, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I believe that one would operate this by unscrewing the thumbscrew seen below, then sliding the shaft to allow it to be run through the barrel and secured again.

The upright ‘Y’ parts are for holding the barrel in place, are they not?

Please keep in mind that I have no experience with this, and so all of this is guesswork on my part. ;)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Aaron wrote:I think i may have an idea as to how this works but Steve do i have you permision to take one of your pictures and add it to my paint program to diagram how i think it works?
Of course you do! Be my guest, folks. I have as much interest in trying to figure out how it all works as you do.

The more experts who can throw any light on it, the better!

One tiny thing I do recall though is that a single operation is carried out with the device in one setup and then, something gets pulled out and "reversed" for the following operation? Sorry, that's about it!
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.